Filter Completely Dead

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

littlefishie

I Harth Darth
Reaction score
I just did a water change, filter and heater unplugged and all, and rearranged my plants.

Plugged filter and heater back in.
Filter is not working. At all. I tried different plugs and that hasn't helped, and even ran an air pump off of the regular spot for the filter. Everything works but my filter.

Help! I can't afford to replace the filter right now, I don't have the money for it. Is there anything I can do? I've got a little sponge filter sitting around right now, but somehow I don't really see that helping, as it's run off of an airstone and I have live plants. It'd only help if I could run out tomorrow and buy a new filter, but I seriously have like, $10 to my name thanks to a recent Big Al's trip. :/

I've tried everything, I really don't know what to do right now.

Edit :: Dan just reminded me I have an empty ten gallon under my bed. I'm going to set that up with the sponge filter for now.. maybe steal the plastic plants out of my betta tanks to give them something to hide in.
As for actually fixing the filter though.. I really need some bright ideas.

Usually the impeller is just stuck. First try cleaning the impeller. Leave it off for a bit to cool if it has been plugged in. Fill it with water, & move the intake tube away from the impeller a little. Get a wood skewer, pen or something else that will reach down to the impeller. Use your finger if your fingers are skinny enough, mine aren't. Plug it in, & give the impeller a couple of pokes. This is usually all that is needed to get my ac's started. I have a really old 200 that needs this every time it is unplugged.

Tolak

See, I tried poking everything.. took it all apart, jiggled it around, and the impeller was moving perfectly fine when I took it apart.
I think it's just.. died.
It such an old AC200 that the plastic is brown and there's white buildup on spots of it.

I think it's just kicked the bucket. :-(

the impeller was moving perfectly fine when I took it apart.
As in, plugged in & spinning?
Did you clean out the well?

Most reactions

Back