Filter cleaning

arj

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
this may sound silly, but i need some help from actuallr removing the filter from the tank. usually, i unplug it, then take it out of the tank, but this results in a substantial amount of 'filter crap' being released into the water. does anyone have any handy tips for eliminating this problem?

thanks.

I usually put a 1 litre jug up and under mine and then lift it out like that. I have fluvals and they fit nicely in the jug

If yours are bigger filters, then use a bigger container :D

I lift mine out and place straight into a bucket that tends to do the trick.

Thanks Joby, I shall try that next time. Wilder, the point of my question was that that method DIDNT work, lol. Thanks anyway.

Yeah Fluvals do do that, i use them in both my tanks. I generally take them out really quickly to minmize the mess, can't believe I didn't consider the jug trick, nice one.

another note, anytime you are going to do anything that might put gunk in your tank - like removing filter media- I would do it before a water change. That way, although gunk gets in your tank, you are syphoning some of it out. All of it should run its course and get sucked back into the filter though- so its not really an emergency unless I am misunderstanding what is going on.

I always take my fluvals out at every water change to clean the impeller and its chamber (as instructed by the makers) as they gunk up quite bad. It was just a quick decision to grab the jug that I use to put the clean water in the tank. Works a treat, just bring it to the surface slowly.

Most reactions

Back