Filter cartridge change

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Mike&Diana

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was just wondering when I should change my filter cartidge. I have a 3 G Eclipse system, with the 3-stage BIo-wheel and the filter and cartridge. I have 1 betta and 2 ADFs in it. How often should I change this filter?

Diana

The carbon will become useless after 3-4 days. But you should change the filter every few months. My lfs suggested every 2 weeks, but IMO it's pointless and means your tank may go into a mini-cycle every time you change the cartridge :crazy:

this is what i do, I cut a slit in the penguin cartridges. I then empty the carbon. I then fill my sink with water add stress coat to kill the chlorine and then rinse my pad out in it about every 2 months. I only have to buy cartridges about once a year.

In my eclipse systems i found filtration was much better and easier to maintain after i stopped using their weak little cartridges and filled the filter space with refill sponges for aquaclear filters, they may need to be cut down to fit. Get two sponges in the space, then at water change time rinse one sponge in dechlorinated water or old tank water. The next waterchange, rinse the other. Works great and is much less expensive. :thumbs:

There may be a minicycle when you switch if the tank hasn't been running long or doesn't have gravel so keep an eye on the levels.

Most reactions

Back