Film on water surface?

Sean_Buckley

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Ok, so for Christmas, I got a 10-gallon. I started it cycling on the 25th, on the 26th added a small Convict cichlid to help the cycle start, no problems. Removed the Con on the 27th or 28th, and added 4 small Red-Eyed Tetras. I did a water change the day I put the RET in, and now there is a gray film on the surface. I have incandescent lighting (switching to flourescent soon), and am using an older heater. It was in my closet. Could the film have come from there? Or what?
Sean

That should do it. If you have a power filter you can decrease the water level slightly in the tank. As the water returns from the filter it should agitate the surface.

I just put in airstone in last night, and this morning, there's no more film. Thanks!
Sean

I have the same film on the water surface of my tank. I want to add plants in the near future, along with a CO2 system, and have read that too much surface agitation negates the addtion of CO2. At present I have been doing water changes and using a large jar to remove the scum - the edge of the jar just breaking the water surface and allowing the scum to waterfall into the jar. Will leaving the scum in place be detrimental to my fish - by possibly preventing oxygen difusing through the water surface?

John

Hey Iceman,
The film will disappear after you leave the airstone in for a while. I took mine out and the film didn't reappear, so I don't think you will have any problem once its gone.
Sean

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back