Figure 8

only till i get my tank fully setup.

lookin for a external filter.20gallons

That salt is no good. To make the water brackish you need full marine salt. That salt (Doc Welfare) is just a tonic salt.

i saw this carton that had a clow fish on it.do u think this would be the salt needed.will marine sand do it or do i need the actual salt

You need proper marine salt to add to water to make it brackish.

Hello fishfishfish ---

As others have stated, the figure-8 puffer, Tetraodon biocellatus, needs brackish water. In the wild these fish are usually found in fresh water, but the evidence is good that in aquaria brackish water suits them better. I have no idea why.

Keeping a brackish water tank is easy. Reading the Brackish Aquarium FAQ is certainly one way to start. Many good aquarium books have a section on brackish water fish, too.

To keep your puffer happy, you need to maintain the specific gravity between 1.003 and 1.005. (Specific gravity is the density of the water -- we cannot measure salinity directly, so density is used instead.) You can buy a hydrometer to measure specific gravity. One of these will cost you from $5 upwards. You can also download Brack Calc from my web site to help you estimate how much salt you're going to need. However, because an open box of salt absorbs water, you cannot rely on weighing out the salt. You must always double check the specific gravity with a hydrometer. As a ball park figure, you're going to need around 5 grammes of salt per litre.

Tonic salt is useless. I have no idea why people sell it anymore. It's a hangover from the old days of fishkeeping when salt was used therapeutically to treat diseases and fungus. Instead, go buy some proper marine mix.

If making up brackish water worries you, opt for a purely freshwater species. Most freshwater species do fine in hard, alkaline water even if they come from soft, acid water.

Figure-8 puffers are fairly aggressive, so choosing tankmates is difficult. Almost without exception, fresh- and brackish water puffers are at least mildly dangerous as fin-nippers, and some are downright aggressive and/or predatory. Some people keep figure-8s in with things like gobies just fine, but really no-one knows exactly how and when puffers become aggressive or fin-nippers. Hunger has something to do with it, but so does territoriality, boredom, and an innate instinct to explore their environment. I keep a South American puffer in a community tank and have done for over a year, and mostly it is well behaved, but some species do get attacked and have to be removed (e.g., platies and white-cheeked gobies) but others (e.g., cardinal tetras, rams, and halfbeaks) seem to get along fine. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason, and all I can do is experiment and remove things that don't work out.

Hope this helps,

Neale

i have the regular blood worms now.do they need the super blood worms

In the wild these fish are usually found in fresh water, but the evidence is good that in aquaria brackish water suits them better. I have no idea why.

The idea is that this species spawns in FW where the fry will loosly stay together as a group, and as the fry begin to mature they work their way down the river towards the ocean where the water is a mix of FW and SW, which is where you find Brackish water. Therefore the reason that most specimens have been collected in FW is that's where they would be the most concentrated as young puffers, before maturing and going off on their own.

Most reactions

Back