Few Questions Guys.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

swanseastilo

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys just a few questions.

1. Whats the best filter for a shrimp only tank.

2. How would i go about changing an under gravel filter to a different one.

3. Can i change the gravel to sand same time as i change the filter??

1: air driven sponge or small internal in a piece of netting.

2: take everything out, add some of the gravel into the filter; stock very lightly and feed little for the first week, testing every day

3: Yes

2: take everything out, add some of the gravel into the filter; stock very lightly and feed little for the first week, testing every day

2. Run both in parallel for 6 weeks: a handful of gravel will only be enough to "seed" and gravel would interfere with the flow too much. Also, gravel may not be rough enough to give the bacteria a good hold.

2. Run both in parallel for 6 weeks: a handful of gravel will only be enough to "seed" and gravel would interfere with the flow too much. Also, gravel may not be rough enough to give the bacteria a good hold.

So basically run the other filter in the tank aswell as the under gravell?

Can you recomend any good filters for a shrimp only tank??

Sponge or small internal with netting really are best options. I like Elite Mini for small, but it has quite a kick for the size.

I use the Elite filters for 10 gallons and under, but I have never tried them with shrimp. I also do not use the original media, I fill them with bio media and a polishing sponge as they have almost no media space (should be ok in decently planted or shrimp-only tanks as they come). Here are the links: Elite Mini and sponge filter

Most reactions

trending

Back