fertilizing summer tubs?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

IKeepAngels

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi! i plan to set up summer breeding tubs for some of the fish i have. i live in the philippines and it is so hot so basically, christmas season is the best time to start breeding tubs since this is the only time here in the philippines where it isn't super hot. anyway, i plan to put plants in the tubs, both marginal plants, floating plants and aquatic plants. that being said, should i still fertilize the tubs?

I use to grow my pond plants in 1 and 2 litre plastic buckets (icecream containers). I put 1-2 inches of gravel in the bottom of the container, then put in a thin layer of granulated garden fertiliser. I covered that with about 6mm (1/4 inch) of red/ orange clay that was crushed and powdered up. Then fill the container up with more gravel and put the plants in it.

As the plants grow their roots hit the clay and fertiliser and the plants take off. The clay stops the fertiliser leeching into the water and you simply have pots of plants that can be moved around or put into different ponds any time you want.

As for adding fertilisers to the water, it isn't normally necessary and if you have root tablets for plants, you can push them into the gravel around the base of each plant. But that is all you need.

I use to grow my pond plants in 1 and 2 litre plastic buckets (icecream containers). I put 1-2 inches of gravel in the bottom of the container, then put in a thin layer of granulated garden fertiliser. I covered that with about 6mm (1/4 inch) of red/ orange clay that was crushed and powdered up. Then fill the container up with more gravel and put the plants in it.

As the plants grow their roots hit the clay and fertiliser and the plants take off. The clay stops the fertiliser leeching into the water and you simply have pots of plants that can be moved around or put into different ponds any time you want.

As for adding fertilisers to the water, it isn't normally necessary and if you have root tablets for plants, you can push them into the gravel around the base of each plant. But that is all you need.
thanks! :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back