Fertile Cory Eggs!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Flubberlump

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So my peppered corys spawned 4 days ago. I collected about 30 eggs and put them in a floating breeding box with an airstone.

I've been checking the eggs several times a day to monitor for any development. Yesterday they were still all a whitish colour so I assumed that they weren't fertile, but decided to leave them for another few days just in case. I've just checked them again and there are 9 brown eggs! I can see the little fry inside. I'd read that it takes 3-10 days for the fry to hatch so I'm crossing my fingers that they do!

I've removed the other eggs. I'd also read that the tiny fry can escape through the slots on the breeding boxes. What I've done is floated a Tupperware box on the top of the breeding box in the tank. It's the perfect size to sit on the top of the box so that the water temperature matches that of the tank. Because the water in the Tupperware box is fairly shallow, the water movement isn't as strong as it was before. Is this ok? Should I leave the airstone in with the fry if they do hatch?

Thanks in advance.
Also, some of the eggs are still stuck to leaves, should I leave them there?

peppered usually hatch in about 4 days so you might see fry today or tomorrow. 

As to keeping them alive, the best way I've found is to move them to a seperate tank. I tried the breeder box - the plastic floating type and the net type and they escaped both and I lost the lot.
You can pick up the smallest clearseal tank (18x10x10) for around £30. It doesn't come with a heater or filter though so you'd need to buy those seperately. Alternately you could buy a small storage box (the plastic type they sell in all DIY stores) for much less. 
I found the best option was to get a sponge filter and an air pump as other filter types are just too powerful for them for the first few weeks. They are not strong swimmers to begin with. I also add moss balls and as much java moss as I can get too as this provides micro-scopic food for them. You'll probably need some liquifry too. You can mix this with some tank water in a little pot and squirt it over the moss balls and java moss. 

The hardest part is keeping them alive. Some will perish but with 9 you should see 4 or 5 survivors. Keeps me posted with how they do and shout if you need any more advice. I've raised several peppered, they were the easiest. My panda's by comparison are a nightmare. I'm still having no success raising any of their fry at all - apart from the two that raised themselves lol

I thought I might see you pop along ;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll see what I can do about the separate tank etc, I'm not well at the moment so struggling to get out and about. I've got Java moss and a moss ball so that's a start! I've never raised fry before so I'm not sure how it'll go. I'm glad to hear that they're the easiest lol!

How soon do you move them into the new tank after they've hatched?

I move them as eggs. It's just easier. 

Another piece of advice. Stand the tank on something white and keep a bare bottom. The fry show up against the white bottom and so you can see any dead one's and remove them and you can also see where they are when you water change. Speaking of water changing - use a piece of airline tubing with a plant weight on the end - I set the syphon going with a syringe. You can then use the piping to add fresh water back - let it trickle down the tank side. This is the only way I found not to drown them. As I said - weak swimmers for at least 2 months and so everything is gentle gentle. 

hope you feel better soon x

Great thanks :) I'll let you know how I get on. I think I can see them moving inside.

keep watching then, if they are moving they're ready to hatch. The tails usually flick out first but sometimes the eggs just kind of explodes and the fry darts out. I loved watching them hatch :D

Ooo I will! Shall I move the ones on the leaves off? Or just leave them?

just leave them. If you try to move them you could burst the egg and kill the fry inside. Leave them to hatch when they are ready and they'll leave behind the empty egg. Once they're all out you can remove leaves then if you want

Okey doke. Do they survive on the yolk sac for the first day or so? I read that somewhere? Also will they be ok with just the Java moss and moss ball to feed from for a day or so if not?

Sorry for all of the questions! I read the pinned thread in the corydora section too.

Yes, the yolk sac sustains them for about 48 hours and I found most deaths occur on the 3rd or 4th day after hatching. The problem seems to be getting them to find alternate food so the more moss you add the better the chances of them finding something. This was why I mentioned the liquifry too as that is supposed to be for fry when they are tiny. They do one for livebearer fry and one for eggs laid fry so check the label. 

Once they get to about 4 weeks old you can start adding some other food, see if you can get some hikari micro wafers for them then. Remember to remove any uneaten bits though as I found those wafers can cause a nitrite spike

Ok great. I'll put some moss and a moss ball in then once they've (hopefully) hatched, and try to get hold of some liquifry tomorrow.

Thanks for your help as always :)

yes, agreed. I've not read that before. What I've learned has been from my own mistakes so it was good to read things from the cory man's point of view

Most reactions

Back