Fern Plant In Aquarium?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

mrvillicus

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Im trying to understand why normal plants wont survive in an aquarium, Ive had a look at what plants to avoid and I understand it a bit more, however I cant seem to find out if ferns can be submerged or if theyll just rot away after a few weeks? I would love to plant ferns in my tank as Im looking for a forest look. Im aware there are similar aquatic varieties such as java fern, but they just dont look the same

It's because of a process called osmosis. Land plants carry water from their roots to leaves while water plants undergo reverse osmosis and semi-permeability. Hard to explain but lemme give you some idea.

Well believe it or not, most if not all herbaceous perennial plants could survive with roots submerged in water. Some plants like photos, philodendrons, dracaenas, arums/aroids and spatiphyllums could survive with part of their leaves and stems submerged without rotting.

As much as most terrestial ferns appreciate lots of moisture/humidity, their roots must be well-drained. You could do a waterfall setup or a marsh setup with fern roots submerged but their leaves must be above water.

Bird's nest fern, boston ferns, maidenhair ferns can be planted around the water line but their roots must only be half-submerged. Running water and bright light usually takes care of them in the wild.

You could try; trident or narrow leaf Java fern, Hygrophila pinnatifida, or Bolbitis.

They all look much more 'ferny' than most :)

you beat me to it.. bolbitis is probs the most ferny looking plant there is in a FW tank  tridents nice 

Most reactions

Back