Female Zebra Pleco.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Karen_2656

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I saw a Zebra Pleco in my LFS, I know they are quite rare so I purchased it.

1 year later I found at the catfish was a female, then the next day there was loads of white things scattered around my tank.
This is what it looks like:
770142717976bb2e9b7d88c621da41f1.jpg

There on rocks, walls, gravel they are scattered everywhere. The Pleco won't stop swimming around them.
What should I do and what is it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other fish do you have with the pleco?

They look like little fry with big yolk sacs still on them. At first glance I would guess they were African cichlid fry.

As they most certainly look like little fry, I think you should separate them from the other fish in the tank or they will get eaten.

What other fish do you have with the pleco?

They look like little fry with big yolk sacs still on them. At first glance I would guess they were African cichlid fry.

As they most certainly look like little fry, I think you should separate them from the other fish in the tank or they will get eaten.

I have 6 chiclids with her and 6 rainbowfish. I'll separate them as soon as possible.

So they are African cichlids then? I'm pretty surprised they haven't been eaten yet.

You will need to make some sort of egg tumbler for them or they are unlikely to survive when you separate them. Might want to search "DIY egg tumbler" if you want to raise them.

So they are African cichlids then? I'm pretty surprised they haven't been eaten yet.

You will need to make some sort of egg tumbler for them or they are unlikely to survive when you separate them. Might want to search "DIY egg tumbler" if you want to raise them.

Yes their African Chicilds, I'll defo do the egg tumbler. In honesty I don't think the chiclids and rainbows know that the eggs are there. The Pleco is normally hiding the eggs, swimming over them and chasing off anyone who tries to attack them.
Loads hatched today:
4db7dbedc75038ac21a346299b52736e.jpg

I'll put them in the tumbled ASAP.

There are also 5 Malawi chiclids, they look like Malawi fry!

On another issue, you should not keep rainbowfish or Zebra pleco with rift lake cichlids. The latter should always be on their own,meaning rift lake fish. There are a few exceptions, but these other fish here are not them.

On another issue, you should not keep rainbowfish or Zebra pleco with rift lake cichlids. The latter should always be on their own,meaning rift lake fish. There are a few exceptions, but these other fish here are not them.

Okay I'll take all Malawis back.
Now there are more fry:
0f993fcc4be8c99becb695bbf54ab593.jpg

I put the fry in its own tank and the other Malawi fry will go back to shop.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back