Female Molly turned Male!?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Cocoa19

Reaction score
hey guys!
so a couple months ago I got (what we thought was) 2 female Mollies named Silver and Frazzle and 1 male Molly called Azariah, however Silver just mated with Frazzle SHE is now for certainly a HE but what I don't understand is he fooled 3 people who deal with fish often, we all thought he was a female so I got Frazzle to out number the Male which now I need to get 2 more females as I now have 2 Males, I have attached photos from the day I got them to Silver today can someone please tell me what happened and how he fooled 3 people. Silver is the jet black Molly who has silver stomach and fins which is how he got the name.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170725-155240.png
    Screenshot_20170725-155240.png
    876.6 KB · Views: 116
  • Snapchat-584641348.jpg
    Snapchat-584641348.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 80
Frazzle was probably a late developer. All livebearers look like females till puberty, then the males' anal fins change into gonopodiums. In Frazzle's case, either he was very young when you got him, or it took longer than usual for him to reach puberty.

It didn't fool anyone ;) In the first pic you can already see that the gonopodium will develop. You simply didn't look carefully enough. And yes, with juvenile mollies or platies there is always the risk that you obtain a late developer.

Frazzles female Silver is my female now male sorry hahah me and the 2 others are just so confused haha but I didn't know about the last developer situation where they all look females until puberty so thank you for that! I will be very careful when I go get my 2 females to make sure they are for sure females does explain why Frazzle is so stressed though she became transparent and I've been so lost on why but I would say this is why so hopefully getting females will help her :)

Oops, sorry, got the fish names the wrong way round :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back