Female guppy standing on her head

mhoward1999

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have only had the pleasure of observing my guppies giving birth a couple of times, and I have never seen this before. I have a female which I believe to be a pretty old one, who appears to be giving birth, but I haven't found a single fry. There is white, cloudy stuff coming out of her. Kindof stringy looking. What do ya'll think? Is this part of the process, or is she dying.
Like I said, I think she is a pretty old fish. I have no way of knowing. She was given to me by someone who wanted to thin out their 55 gal's population, and I told them I would take a couple of their females. She's really big. Probably at least 2 inches, if not 2 1/2, and har abdomen is very large, but not so much to think it is a symptom of some disease.
Another question. I am a teacher and this tank is in my classroom. Today is Friday and I won't be able to come back this weekend. How long should I observe and do nothing? I don't want her to suffer needlessly, and I also don't want her dying tonight and rotting all weekend polluting the tank...

Do you have a bowl or bucket you can keep the fish in.

Sould be fine with just one fish in, add some salt it will help her just a teaspoon in a smaller container, you don't have a cat do you that can paw at athe fish when you are not looking.

Nope, no cats.

It's over. At least she isn't suffering any more. I wish I could have come up with some clove oil. I am going to look for it to have on hand if anything like this arrises again.

Most reactions

Back