Feeding?

richgonfishn

Reaction score
It's soooo cool watching the fish eat. Is there a rule of thumb for feeding your fish. I'm sure the type matters some, but overall is once a day enough? I have a 30 gallon tank with approx. 12 fish. What are the feeding suggestions?

Also the temp is best kept at what temp? Here are a list of the fish I have.

1 ea. Bristle Nose Pleco
2 ea. Blue Gourami
1 ea. Giant Gourami
2 ea. Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami
2 ea. Gold Gourami
1 ea. Synodontis Ocellifer Catfish (I think?)
2 ea. Pictus Cat
1 ea. Upside-Down Cat

Feeding I would suggest you do it once a day or every other day that's if your not willing to do frequent water changes.... And your tank temp with those fish should stay at 26 C/ 79 F and not lower.... You should be fine with that.... :D

Gsharky, you're just so helpful. :) :D B)

when you feed every other day, do you do twice the amount of flakes?
I've been wondering that, and after reading this post, figured I'd throw it in..... :p

I was wondering the same thing... Is there a rule on how long the fish should eat? For example enough food is when the fish feed for 60 seconds, 120 seconds etc etc. I don't want to starve or over feed the fish. I think watching them is is one of the most enjoyable things.

richgonfishn said:
I was wondering the same thing... Is there a rule on how long the fish should eat? For example enough food is when the fish feed for 60 seconds, 120 seconds etc etc. I don't want to starve or over feed the fish. I think watching them is is one of the most enjoyable things.
I believe the rule is generally five minutes/ two flakes per fish. but c'mon, we all know that flakes don't come in uniform size! so that tip is fairly useless. the five minute thing? well, I'm too darn busy to watch my tank for five minutes. :*) :/ hope that doesn't make me irresponsible.

but the every other day question still remains, despite the five minute rule. doesn't it just seem like they would get twice the amount of food? maybe being hungrier they would eat faster? :p I would hate only being fed once a day or every other day. Glad I'm not a fishy. :fish:

Fishes are cold blooded, so you would still feed the same amount even if you feed every other day. At least that is what i do, and my fish are healthy and happy :D

P.T.

First thing, a hungry fish is a healthy fish.

Gouramis are protien eaters, so they can eat once a day. Pl*cos are veggy eaters so need to eat more often. Synodontis Ocellifer Catfish eat a mix of both. It is not how much my fish should be feed it is how much would my fish eat if they could. In most cases a fish tummy is the same size as it's eyeball.

Fish can be feed 3 cups of food a day and still strave to death, you can eat just crackers for the rest of your life and never be hungry but will not live.

So best thing to do is find out what each of your fish eat in the wild and do your very best to give it to them, in alot of cases this is not going to happen but as a fish keeper it is your job to do it the best you can.

On a side point you do know that your tank will become very over crowed. There temp should be 76-82 deg. F. And also Gouramis like power heads in the tank with them, they like strong currents

I personally liek the little and often rule, i feed mine about 3 or even 4 times a day as i work at home, only a very small amount though, i personally finds this works best

Most reactions

Back