Feeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Tanked

Fish Herder
Reaction score
how often should I feed my fishes?

I have been feeding twice per day about 8am and 8pm is this adequate or too much. I feed them with mostly flake food but throw in blood worms a couple times a week as treats.

thx in advance and for answering all of my newbie questions. maybe someday I can be an aquarium guru too :D

Feeding your fish twice a day is fine as long as you dont over feed them, The best way to judge if you have too much food going in is to watch how much is actually eaten by the fish. You really want no more food than what your fish can eat in 3 or 4 minutes. The thing you have to watch for when feeding twice a day is that you can get a build of food waste not to mention your fish will create more waste so you have to watch water params closer. The extra waste will cause ammonia to rise which is bad for your fish. But it is something that can be dealt with.

HTH

Les

thx gerber, they seem to eat it all withing 2-3 minutes no problem. my amonia is a bit high right now but I attribute that to the Ich treatment that ends today. tank is running w/o carbon filters on the undergravel and power filter right now. on;y the sponge in the power filter. water is getting murky too. can't wait to get home and put the carbon back in and watch the water clear up before my eyes.

All depends on what fish you are keeping,tiny fish like neons and other small tetras should be fed
2 or 3 times a day but only as much as they can manage in a couple of minutes,larger and messy fish should be fed only once a day and predatory fish eaters only once or twice a week.If your tank is showing signs of ammonia then you should stop feeding alltogether for a couple of days,this will allow the filter to catch up with the load,dont worry it wont hurt the fish and may even do them some good.

i feed mine 2 or 3 times a day. if youre worried about overfeeding maybe get a little clean up crew of bottom feeders? i have coolie loaches, dwarf frogs, and ghost shrimp and i hardly have to clean the substrate at all. snails work as well.

I feed my fish once a day and give them a treat once in a while when they get fed twice. :D

My fish always behave as if they have not been fed for days, even if they get fed several times a day , So that is probably not a good indicator of their hunger. :lol:

I guess it all depends on the types, number and size of fish you have.

Tanked,

Another idea for feeding is to add some ruffage to the diet. A couple of times a week I add some greens.

You can try small amounts of blanched zuchini, cucumber, peas (split the skin so they can get at the mush), spinach, it's just a case of trial and error to find out what your fish prefer, but the ruffage will be appreciated.

You may need some ways to make it sink, you can either secure it to a rock or attach it to a stainless steel spoon. This ruffage can stay in the tank for a few hours ( I have often left mine in overnight ) with no detrimental affects.

Just another idea...... :D

bianca,

funny you should mention smails, that is what my fiancee wants to get. I am going to get rid of my pleco, he is too damn big now. He going to a good home guys don't worry. I love all animals to much to do something bad to them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back