Feeding cucumber to the fish

princess43

Reaction score
I've been putting pieces of cucumber into my tank for the fish, but they don't seem to bother with it until it's been there a couple of days. But, how long can it be left in the tank before it starts to go bad or rot?

200 litre tank
5 Platys
4 Mollies
5 Peppered Corydoras

I wouldn't leave it in there any more than a day and a half.

Thanks for your help.

Does that time period work the same for lettuce and peas as well?

Maybe not lettuce as it does not break apart as quickly. Perhaps your fish are waiting for it to go soft. Have you tried blanching it for 30 seconds or so in boiling water before putting it in?

Considering the nutritional value of lettuce, I wouldn't even bother. Courgett, Cucumber, peas etc. are good.
But I'd say 12 hours max is a good period. The longer it stays in the tank uneaten, the more it starts to break down and can cause cloudiness to the water.

Spinach is a very healthy lettuce-type food you can go with. I keep unblanched food for 24-36 hours without any issues, but blanched food will disintegrate much more quickly.

I have experienced the same thing with my tanks. The only fish I have ever seen eat veggies (cucumbers, zuchini, spinach) are my otos and occasionally the SAEs. The tetras never touch them. I haven't even tried them in the 75 gallon since I added the angels. I figured it was just a wasted effort. As for lettuce, I don't know about the fish eating it but it is a good way to get rid of excess snails if you have a planted tank as they will eat the lettuce. Just put a piece in (you'll have to weight it down) and take it out every morning and night and toss the snails that are on it.

Most reactions

Back