Fat ember tetra chasing others

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I’ve got one fat looking ember tetra chasing other ember tetras away from the middle of the tank during feeding time. Everyone else is getting along fine, it’s just this one that’s being rude. It’s also quite fat and slightly larger than the others so I’m not sure if it’s a female about to lay eggs?
It doesn’t look very big in the photo but it’s definitely bigger than the others. I’ve only had them for a few weeks.

Attachments

• 6F9DEF44-EE25-42A1-8655-14A0962D512A.png
    6F9DEF44-EE25-42A1-8655-14A0962D512A.png
    576.6 KB · Views: 133
I've had a shoal of this species over many years, and never observed any issues involving aggression beyond normal characin behaviours (challenging, display, spawning, etc). Given the surface level plant thickets, I would think all of the Embers will easily get what food they need so I wouldn't worry.

Sorry, looks like I’ve posted this thread twice by accident! I can’t work out how to delete so if an admin could delete one for me please ?

I've had a shoal of this species over many years, and never observed any issues involving aggression beyond normal characin behaviours (challenging, display, spawning, etc). Given the surface level plant thickets, I would think all of the Embers will easily get what food they need so I wouldn't worry.
That’s a relief. I researched for months making sure all the fish I was getting would work in a peaceful community so I think I panicked a bit when it looked like they were fighting! I wonder if it’s just as they’ve aged a bit more they’re just challenging eachother a bit more then? This big one has been chasing the smaller ones for a few hours now.

Most reactions

Back