Fancy Goldfish Moving Weakly And Possible Fungus. Please Help!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Some pet shops sell fish vitamin supplements. If you can't get them use a bird or reptile vitamin supplement. Try to get one in a dry powder form and sprinkle it over some frozen (but defrosted) food like bloodworms and feed that to the fish once a day. Give vitamins 6 days a week and none on the 7th day unless it's a fish specific vitamin supplement.

You can cut up soft leaf aquatic plants like Ambulia and feed that to fish, algae is also useful and you can scrape it off the glass and feed it to the fish. Duckweed can be grown on the surface of the tank and when it is grown under coverglass, it develops a soft leaf and can be cut up and fed to fish.

Feeding the fish a varied diet including dry, frozen (but defrosted), and live foods gives them the best chance of getting all the nutrients they need. :)
I was thinking today, do you think I should move him to a 10 gallon hospital tank I fill with the main tank water? It would make the medication easier.

If you plan on treating him then moving the fish to a smaller aquarium will reduce the cost of treatment and make it easier to clean the tank. However, the tank needs to be big enough for the fish to comfortably move about and the more water in the tank, the longer it will take for ammonia levels to go up.

Don't feed too much during treatment because the more food the faster the ammonia levels will go up.

You should monitor ammonia levels in the quarantine tank each day and do a complete water change if there is any readings. You can use water out of the main tank to fill up the smaller tank.

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.

If you plan on treating him then moving the fish to a smaller aquarium will reduce the cost of treatment and make it easier to clean the tank. However, the tank needs to be big enough for the fish to comfortably move about and the more water in the tank, the longer it will take for ammonia levels to go up.

Don't feed too much during treatment because the more food the faster the ammonia levels will go up.

You should monitor ammonia levels in the quarantine tank each day and do a complete water change if there is any readings. You can use water out of the main tank to fill up the smaller tank.

divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.
When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "How To Tips" at the top of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Increase surface turbulence/ aeration when using medications because they reduce the dissolved oxygen in the water.
Do I need the calculator? I know the number of gallons each of my tanks already hold.

Do I need the calculator? I know the number of gallons each of my tanks already hold.
You should always work out exactly how much water is in the aquarium before using any medications. Even tho aquariums are sold as 10 gallon, 20 gallon, 30 gallon, etc, they do not normally hold that much water when set up. You should use the formula I put in Post # 32 (and below) and work out how much water is in the actual aquarium.

divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

The calculator in the "How To Tips" will let you convert litres to US gallons.

-----------------------
The fish probably has the first stage of Fin Rot but it has not advanced to the point of red veiny lines in the fins or red edges to the fins, so it should heal up by itself without adding medications. However, the head & lateral line disease will need treating.

Head & lateral line disease (HLLD) is most commonly seen on fish kept in dirty environments that have lots of organic matter. Poor water quality and a dirty environment also cause Fin Rot so doing big daily water changes and gravel cleans will help with both but once the HLLD is showing the white lumps on the lateral line, it needs more than water changes.

-----------------------
There could be an underlying issue with the fish. A lot of fancy goldfish (ranchus, lionheads, pearlscales, etc) have more health issues than common goldfish with a long slender body and single tail. Adding vitamin supplements and feeding a varied diet should help with that. But you need to get the pH up and depending on what the general hardness (GH) is, you might need to increase that as well. Goldfish do best in hard alkaline water with a GH above 200ppm and pH above 7.0.

or measure the L x W x H (inches), then multiply by 7.5 and then divide by 1,728 times = US gallons
LxWxH= measurement in volume,
then multiply by 7.5 (about 7.5 five gallons of water is in a square foot of water)
Then divide by 1,728 (to divide by one foot, one foot, then on more foot to make the first measurements go from inches to gallons)

sorry to hear that :(

-------------------------
It's probably a good idea to clean the filter and then drain & gravel clean the tank a couple of times before adding new fish. This will remove most of the harmful organisms in the water and reduce the chance of new fish developing the same issue.

If you get more goldfish try to increase the GH and pH before you get them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back