Extremely Bloated Platy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

commoncarp

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Have a few female platys (no males) but one of the platys is so bloated looks like she's going to explode, she hasn't got her fins clamped and moves around, loves eating and is always wanted to be fed even though I normally only feed them once a day.

She is getting so fat her scales have opened up on her body, I have attached a picture didn't know if she had dropsy maybe? Can an expert please advice.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/fat2q.jpg/

Looks like dropsy to me, compounded by the fact that her scales are opening up.

Have a few female platys (no males) but one of the platys is so bloated looks like she's going to explode, she hasn't got her fins clamped and moves around, loves eating and is always wanted to be fed even though I normally only feed them once a day.

She is getting so fat her scales have opened up on her body, I have attached a picture didn't know if she had dropsy maybe? Can an expert please advice.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/7/fat2q.jpg/

Well, I don't know about expert, but it looks an awful lot like dropsy to me too.

Dropsy is a symptom, not a disease, so there is no easy treatment. It is caused by the failure of the internal organs, causing a build-up of bodily fluid. Once you get to this stage, it is usually too late. The only thing you can do is try giving the fish a bath in Epsom Salts, to try to draw the fluid out of the body.

But as with humans, once the organs have failed, it's a pretty hopeless case. Sorry.

I thought as much it was dropsy, same thing happened to a black neon a few weeks ago whilst I had a ich break out. Must of been the meds that caused it. Will clove bath her when she starts to move slower to put her out of pain:-(

Been there, mate, know how it feels. Sorry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back