Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I have a 55 Gal with the following stock:

Yellow-Tailed Acei x7
Yellow Lab x  7
Demonasi x1
Rusties x7

The rusties are by far the most aggressive fish in the tank. They chase other fish, who come remotly close, dig and by far are extremely aggressive towards their own obviously. I have seen mbuna aggression, but thte rusties are acting like they are auratus. XD They even keep the demonasi in it's corner.

Often, splitting the lines of sight tend to work. Add intricate rock work to allow the chased fish to escape. Often, the more the better, but I would not get anymore to displace aggression.

I

Oscarcichlid4 said:
Often, splitting the lines of sight tend to work. Add intricate rock work to allow the chased fish to escape. Often, the more the better, but I would not get anymore to displace aggression.
I have intricate rock work, with many hiding spaces. Already tho, they chase each other over more than half the tank, inside caves and around rocks. Im afraid if they were older they would be relentless. 

This is like those cichlids behave. As far as I can see no damage is done, so nothing to worry about. They also might get more peaceful with age. What kind of rocks did you use? It seems like they got a sharp surface, so they are not suitable for a tank. You got a good amount of rock and hiding spaces, but there can never be too much and a little more would not harm ;) Sand would have been a better substrate too.

Hey Hobby5, The rocks i used are Lava Rock from my local FS. They used the same rocks in their African Cichlid Display. They are a bit rough but not sharp. And thanks for the info, though i have kept tropical fish before, this is my first foray into the cichlid world. I thought the aggression was atypical for rusties. XD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back