external filters

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

uk28scots

Reaction score
could someone please give me advice on an external filter for my 126 litre as im kinda baffled on what would be best, at the moment i have a fluval 3+ internal filter but think it looks unsightly in the tank.
im looking for something thats not too complecated, quiet, easy to clean and comes as an all in one package (kinda plug + go type), im willing to spend upto £100, also something that i could still use if i chose to upgrade to a bigger tank.

also when i get one am i best to run it along with my internal one until i get the friendly bacteria build up in it?

thanks for the reply's :D

There are a few you could go for depending on what you are willing to pay. Eheim are probally the most frequently recommended as they are probally the best on the market but may be the most expensive.

This link will give you all the specifications on what size tanks they can cope with.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpics/eheiminfo.htm

Another option is Fluval externals which are normally a little cheaper. I have many of these and to date had no problems but I have seen a few people mention that they are not quite as reliable. A Hagen Fluval 204 External Filter should do a 200 ltr tank however from my own experience I would say thats a little over estimated. The Hagen Fluval 304 which should do 300 ltrs happily copes with my 127 litre tank and would manage a bigger tank with a reduced flow. The cost of the 304 is less than £60 from Pets at Home.

These are just two of the best known makes but there are many more on the market.

To answer your second question..Yes run the new external filter along side the existing one otherwise the tank will cycle.

Because we seem to be the only country in the world that isn't metric, I'm not sure how big your tank really is, BUT Penguin makes a series of external box filters with biowheels. The smaller ones have only 1 filter and biowheel and the larger ones have 2. I have the pengiun 330 with 2 biowheels on my 45 US Gallon and I love it. The great thing about biowheels is that they allow a place for bacteria to grow so that even if you vaccum all the gravel and do a huge water change, the chances of a bacterial bloom are minimal. Also, they provide some force behind the newly filtered water that goes back into the tank which provides additional aeration to the tank...The Penuinjs have a place for the normal charcoal filters but they also provide the media boxes as well for any additional media you like to use. I put purigen in one of my boxes for example....Anyway, I love penguin.

Hope this helps. ;)

do you think a EHEIM PROFESSIONAL II 2128 Thermo would be ok :dunno: as i have seen a new one for £75 (new) and they retail for £200+

Thats a great price for the EHEIM PROFESSIONAL II 2128! This filter should handle around 600 Ltrs which may make it a little too powerful for the fish you currently have but at that price it might be worth picking it up for when you get the larger tank.

Thats a good price!!!

As for running both together, with the filter you have seen, it has plenty of media space and you could put the sponges from your fluval 3+ into one of the baskets of the new filter. It will take a long time to grow the bacteria needed if you run them alongside eachother as you will only ever have enough bacteria to cope with the current fish output.

Jon

Most reactions

Back