Established tank going through a mini cycle with fish

Cherrys

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I don't know if there is anything that can be done to save my current stock, but I'm looking for help just in case.

I have a 55 gallon, established for at least 3yrs. Was initially cycled with old filter media. It is currently stocked with 7 cherry barbs, 2 blue Cichlids, and 2 yellow lab Cichlids. I'm almost positive we will lose the Cichlids (we have lost 1 blue and 2 yellow lab already plus 1 cherry barb).

The water was changed and one of the filters ended up getting changed as well two days ago. I'm positive we lost too much of our good bacteria. The tank is super cloudy and the fish keep gasping for air. I have never in all my years seen a cloudy tank so I'm not sure what the best or next steps should be.

I have two filters a Marineland and I think a Topfin HOB. I have been adding Prime and doing small water changes when I see them gasping, but this only fixes the issue for a few hours at most. It almost seems like every water change makes the water more cloudy. I wanted to do a bigger water change, but it seems like it might just need to run it's course.

I have done several tests and everything comes back normal (0 ammonia/nitrites and about 20-30 nitrates). I'm thinking the Prime is causing the testing issue, but I don't want to not add it as I'm trying to save my fish.

Would Tetra Safestart help re-cycle it faster at all, or would that risk losing what little good bacteria I still currently have?Can I even use that if I'm using Prime? I have never cycled with it so I'm not completely sure how it works, just that it is safe for fish.

Is there anyway to save my fish? I don't currently have another tank I can move them too.

If ammonia and nitrites are 0 its not a cycle issue - but something in the water is bothering them. There have been a few threads on people (including me) losing fish because they managed to get hand sanitiser into their water. This may not be your problem but something is bothering the fish. I would do daily 50-75% changes for a week. Only add enough prime for the water you are changing.

If ammonia and nitrites are 0 its not a cycle issue - but something in the water is bothering them. There have been a few threads on people (including me) losing fish because they managed to get hand sanitiser into their water. This may not be your problem but something is bothering the fish. I would do daily 50-75% changes for a week. Only add enough prime for the water you are changing.

I'll have to see if I can find those threads. Did it cause cloudy water? I was under the impression that cloudy water is caused by a bacteria bloom most of the time.

I hardly ever use sanitizer, but I know my husband uses it all the time so I will ask him about that and see if he remembers using it before hand.

So Prime should not affect my readings at all? I tried to Google it, but it seemed like it could go either way. Tests should pick up ammonium though right? So it shouldn't play a factor in that I guess.

Cherry's were swimming around when I woke up and seem unfazed by the water now, but I can't find any of the remaining Cichlid's so I'm assuming they didn't make it unless they are really hiding out. I'm planning to dig everything up to make sure no dead fish are hiding somewhere, and then do a water change again. Is one large one better than two smaller ones?

Most reactions

Back