Espei/Harlequin Rasbora Question

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have about 6 Harlequin Rasboras currently in my tank, was looking at increasing my numbers, local supplier only had 2. When I came home I realized the 2 were actually Espei/Lambchop Rasbora. They have a more copper look to them, almost glow.

They seem to be somewhat schooling with the Harlequin and other times just the 2 alone, my question is, can I leave it as is?

Will they be comfortable in the tank, or do they need a school of their own, which I don't want to add at the moment.

Can I keep them or best to return them?

There are four described species in the genus Trigonostigma, of which three are common in thee hobby with the fourth rarely seen (if ever). Being in the same genus, the species are obviously as closely related to each other as distinct species can be, and in such cases most individuals will readily shoal with another species, as you are seeing.

T. hengeli and T. espei are very similar, and slightly smaller than the common Harlequin T. heteromorpha. The latter is more robust. It would be best to have a decent-sized group of T. hengeli or T. espei, without doubt. The fish expect this, and I would provide it especially with young fish which is what you will see in stores. As the fish age and some die off, it may not be so important to keep the shoal numbers. However, since the store only had the two, they are certainly going to be "happier" in your tank with their cousins than otherwise, so I would keep them.

However, since the store only had the two, they are certainly going to be "happier" in your tank with their cousins than otherwise, so I would keep them.

Didn't think of it that way, definitely makes sense.
Think I'll keep them for now and maybe in the future either up their numbers or find someone who has a school and would like 2 more.

Thanks!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back