Epsom Salt Baths

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Schmill

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This originally started in the Fish Emergency section, but now I am after some more general opinions from people who have done the Epsom Salt baths.

On this site, <a href="http://www.fishjunkies.com/Treatments/salt.php" target="_blank">FishJunkies</a>, it mentions both a low-dose long-term bath on there, and also a higher-dose short-term.

As a cure for fungus, or to help relieving swelling, use can use a tablespoon of salt per gallon.

Use sodium chloride (Aquarium, rock, or kosher Salt) for fungus;
use magnesium sulfate (Epson Salt) for internal swelling or constipation.

These are appropriate concentrations for short term dips intended to last from 5-10 minutes, or up to 30 at longest.
So a TABLESPOON per Gallon (3.8L presuming it's a US Gallon) for 5-30 minutes, (guessing try 10 and if no effect do it longer then next day?)

Use a teaspoon per gallon if you want to add this to the fish's tank as a live-in bath: change 25% of the water weekly and do not add additional salt.
So a TEASPOON per Gallon (3.8L presuming it's a US Gallon) as a 'permanent' bath until the problem is resolved.

I have neither a spare tank, heater or filter, so the best I could do would be a large bowl with an airstone at room temperature. For this reason I am thinking perhaps the short-term 'dip' rather than the long term 'bath' would be better?

I'd like to know which way is recommended and if people have done the baths how they did it and if they had results with it?

Thanks all :)

I am trying peas as well, but he has pretty much no appetite, and Epsom Salts were recommended, (Note; Epsom Salts, not normal salt)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back