Embers sick or just depressed?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

I'm afraid that wouldn't work, to the fish it would just be the equivalent of a cloud.

So many of the fish we keep come from rivers with overhanging vegetation. They rarely swim in the part of the river without these overhanging trees etc. A fish out in open water is easy prey from birds etc. So fish in a tank with nothing over them are terrified of being eaten, it's instinctive - no cover = no protection.

If you are worried about bugs, see if you can find an on-line store selling in vitro plants, also called tissue culture plants. These have been grown under sterile conditions and do not contain any bugs, or chemicals to kill bugs. I don't know what brands are available where you live but this is the type of thing I mean (this brand does in vitro frogbit, salvinia and red root floater for example)

I think member @connorlindeman has started selling in vitro plants.
Ummmmmm i will check.
BTW how can i reducce my filter flow?
I have NEWA MORE aquarium which comes with filter.. idk what to do...
NMO50_dettagli-tecnici-1.jpg

Looking at the manufacturer's website and tank manual, it looks as though the water is sucked from the tank into a tube in the water then passed over the media in that flat corner thing, then trickles out from the corner thing and splashes into the tank. Is that right?

I'm not sure how you could reduce the flow if that's the way it works :unsure:

Looking at the manufacturer's website and tank manual, it looks as though the water is sucked from the tank into a tube in the water then passed over the media in that flat corner thing, then trickles out from the corner thing and splashes into the tank. Is that right?

I'm not sure how you could reduce the flow if that's the way it works :unsure:
i think yea...

Cant i just make the light dimmer all the time...
Im afraid that the floating plants will bring bugs or smth

Getting anything detrimental on live plants is highly unlikely. There is no justification in not providing something your fish absolutely need. Please look into good floating plants, like Water Sprite (the best), Amazon Frogbit or Water Lettuce. The benefits to the fish cannot be overstated.

Cant i just make the light dimmer all the time...
Im afraid that the floating plants will bring bugs or smth
You can (and probably should) quarantine new plants like you would a new fish. It would be easy for floating plants. Just keep them in a five gallon bucket with a good light on them and a little fertilizer. Generally, the worst case scenario is generally ending up with some snails. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.
The benefits of floating plants far outweigh any drawbacks.

Getting anything detrimental on live plants is highly unlikely. There is no justification in not providing something your fish absolutely need. Please look into good floating plants, like Water Sprite (the best), Amazon Frogbit or Water Lettuce. The benefits to the fish cannot be overstated.
red root floaters are good too?

You can (and probably should) quarantine new plants like you would a new fish. It would be easy for floating plants. Just keep them in a five gallon bucket with a good light on them and a little fertilizer. Generally, the worst case scenario is generally ending up with some snails. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing in and of itself.
The benefits of floating plants far outweigh any drawbacks.
Will this keep my fish from jumping....
I saw one of my embers on the floor today...

Fish mostly jump if there is something wrong with the water, but they do sometimes jump when startled by something. A fitted lid is the best protection for this. If you look you can probably find a nice glass lid that fits your tank. It’s a little hard to keep clean, but it retains the clean look of the tank really well

Perhaps putting a sponge in the filter lip would at least help soften the flow of the water?

Ummmmmm i will check.
BTW how can i reducce my filter flow?
I have NEWA MORE aquarium which comes with filter.. idk what to do...
NMO50_dettagli-tecnici-1.jpg
I use this trick to reduce the flow of my HOB filter. Maybe you could do something similar.

Fish mostly jump if there is something wrong with the water, but they do sometimes jump when startled by something. A fitted lid is the best protection for this. If you look you can probably find a nice glass lid that fits your tank. It’s a little hard to keep clean, but it retains the clean look of the tank really well
Probably startled cause water parameters are fine.
I cant find a specific lid for my tank
And i cant fit it cause i have spiderwood coming out

red root floaters are good too?

Being much smaller, their effect on shade is less. I have had Salvinia floating and mixed in, but the larger plants are what you really want here.

As for fish jumping, this is caused by shock or stress, and often occurs at night. I would never have an open-top tank for this reason (and others). Floating plants that are substantial will help, yes.

Probably startled cause water parameters are fine.
I cant find a specific lid for my tank
And i cant fit it cause i have spiderwood coming out
You might be able to run to Home Depot or somewhere similar to get a piece of glass custom fit to accommodate for the wood sticking out. Or, you could cut off the piece of wood sticking out.

Or, yeah floating plants

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back