Eheim Eco

ShoC

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hiya quick one.

On the eheim Eco where does the bacteria colony live?
is it in the gravely substrat?
Need answer Asap as moving to new tank,
thanks in Advance

The benificial bacteria will colonise the media in every compartment, but the ammount of the colony in each section will depend on the media in use. What media do you have in each basket?

The safest bet for a transfer, is to move all the media accross.

All the best
Rabbut

Moving it all is not an option sadly.....
I have split half and half :)

short answer: yes, the gravely looking media

longer answer: Most eheims use the gravel looking media ehfisubstrat and the tubular media ehfimech. Both of these have increased surface area to increase bacteria attachment but the ehfisubstrat has even more than the tubes.

(the reason the tubes are referred to as mechanical filtration I believe is that the water flow is randomly turned about depending on how a tube is lying, thus giving large debris a chance to slow down and be stopped by the first sponge. This flow randomization also reduces the chance of a path of least resistance.)

Hope this helps! ~~waterdrop~~

(the reason the tubes are referred to as mechanical filtration I believe is that the water flow is randomly turned about depending on how a tube is lying, thus giving large debris a chance to slow down and be stopped by the first sponge. This flow randomization also reduces the chance of a path of least resistance.)

Hmn, I think I should re-think my very analy organised ceramic hoops in my filter... ;)

Hmn, I think I should re-think my very analy organised ceramic hoops in my filter... ;)
:D Hopefully your smiley is winking at us because you are joking!
But if that was straight up and you really do organize your tubes in the basket (having those tendencies myself I must say it occurred to me that I might fit more rings into a basket by organizing them but luckily I didn't!) then that of course would indeed be counter-productive. If the flow randomization effect is real then they would need to be dumped in the basket in a random manner.

The anal tendency that takes a scientific bent might also wonder whether anyone at the companies that make these tube-shaped ceramics has actually conducted any experiments to prove to themselves that water flow doesn't find a path of least resistance in them. One can see the thinking, but real life has a way of being contrary as we all know! Or perhaps rather than experiments, the "bed of tubes" is one of those old "known-things" in the world of hydro-dynamics or mechanical engineering? (Now there's one for CFC and BigNose to chew on, lol)

~~waterdrop~~
ps. DevUK, there was a thread in January where I received a ton of help from a lot of the TFF members on the subject of ceramic rings (and other bio-media topics) here:
http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/22.../Ceramic-Rings/
(I'm going to have to learn how to hide those ugly url lines under the single word "here" aren't I?)

Most reactions

Back