Eheim Classic 2217+ Info Needed

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

arobinson1984

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
If any of you have read my recent posts you will know I've been having problems with my eheim pro 3 filter leaking water. I have replaced all the sealing rings and searched for reasons it is leaking to no avail. I have lost confidence in it now as I'm always wondering if I'm going to return from work with a living room floor full of water.

Anyway, I have ordered an eheim classic 2217+ to replace it as they have a great reputation for reliability.

All I wanted to know is, does the classic range have internal baskets for media? or is it foam pads only? I have all the established media in my pro 3 such as Substratpro and spiral mechanical media and obviously want to transfer it to the classic if possible.

Cheers for any info from people who have experience of the classic range

Andy

They dont have seperate trays, there is a section on the bottom where you put sponge then you can add bio rings etc then another tray on the top.

http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/bigpics/images/eheim2217.jpg

picture is easier to see what I am waffling on about lol

They come with just sponges, but you can take some out and put ceramic media inbetween them if you want to.

mine is a few years old and didn't come with any, Mine simply came with filter foams but I'm also sure some of the newer classics come with a free box of ceramic media

u just dump the stuff in (ceramic and substrat) and use the foam pads to divide them. if u wanted u could place ur media in stockings, but i probably wouldnt put the ceramic in stockings, only the substrat

2217+ comes with media; ceramic, substrat and foam pads. so ur going to have some extra. maybe u would have extra anyway? i dont know the volume difference between 2217 and eheim pro 3 filter

You can just stick the old media in, if you've got 'particley' stuff (like the Substrat) then it'l just shove in, sponges you can either cut down or just keep the proper 2217 ones.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess the maintenance will take a bit of getting used to as the pro 3 I currently have has a seperate tray for each media making it easy to take it out, as long as its reliable though thats all I'm bothered about.

As said, I've already got the established bioballs and a few other types of media, just wasnt sure if they went in loose or had trays like my current filter.

Thanks again for your replies

Andy

Ok guys :sad:

I got the Eheim 2215 delivered today. It arrived with the canister head split but the redelivery of a new unit is not my main concern here. Until it arrived I assumed and was told by the assistant that it would have all the necessary filter media. It doesn't...

The canister contains roughly 7 blue sponges and on the actual box (packaging) description of another media set, which I assume I need for biological filtration. So my question is do I need that other media / should I order it when arranging redelivery?

Any and all advice on this is greatly appreciated.

You don't need specific bio media, it's nice to have but not a requirement. All sponge is fine.

however, it does extend cleaning intervals. and lead to better filter operation and bio health. its just not a "necessity"

I have a 2215. I used another brands of bio media because Eheim sells them for too much! You can find cheaper alternatives. What I have right now is their blue sponge (which came when I bought it), ceramic rings (local brand), seachem matrix, and LFS brand filter floss. It works fine! I also have another filter running, a marineland c-220 but that's another story.

don't know why you have lost confidence everything leaks for a reason

the only problems i ever had with a 6 year old pro3 was the middle return pipe the clear one on the tap can cracked you are trying to get it in and out of a tight space

the middle part is replaceable at about £10

i bet this is your problem it also took me ages to find were water was coming out of mine

the 2217 is old hat now a good filter in its day but things have moved on a lot since when it was designed

also if you are swaping a pro3 for a 2217 then your tank will be very very under filtered compaired to what it was with the pr3 i would say the 2217 is about 3 times smaller than a pro3

also if you are swaping a pro3 for a 2217 then your tank will be very very under filtered compaired to what it was with the pr3 i would say the 2217 is about 3 times smaller than a pro3

A good point, yet not a criticism of the 2217 as it is about 1/3 of the price.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back