Eheim 2217 or Eheim 2224 pro

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Wannaknowaboutsand

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have decided to get a Eheim canister filter. There are 2 Im deciding between.

the 2217 model and 2224 pro model. which one is the better deal?

I do want to get rid of the BIO wheels eventually. Who ever thought a moving part would be a good idea is a moron. If one stops even for a couple of hours I get ammonia spikes. The Magnum does not actually have enough output I think for BIO-wheel 60 pro system. Maybe if I take out the normal outlet completely. it will run better.

Also I think the bacteria is growing in the pre-filter for the carbon insert in the canister and not in the biowheels all.

So my plan is to buy one of the two eheim models and eliminate the bio wheels and (I have a quick filter attach to a power head on the opposite side of the tank for water movement) quick filter, but keep the magnum as a water polisher.

What do you think?

I can't help you decide which Eheim to choose, but I will say that a canister filter is the right choice! :hey:

I have an XP3 canister filter, which replaced a HOB filter, and I'm absolutely satisfied with its performance!

I came close to buying the Eheim 2217, but decided to go with the XP3. Good luck!

Doesn't matter now I went ahead and got the 2217. I hope I made the right chioce, it has a higher flow rate and was abotu $30 cheaper.

Wannaknowaboutsand said:
Doesn't matter now I went ahead and got the 2217. I hope I made the right chioce, it has a higher flow rate and was abotu $30 cheaper.
I heard the Eheim classics were great canister filters. When I went to purchase my canister, I initially wanted the Eheim 2217. The LFS recommended the XP3, because the Eheims had problems with the handle breaking.

I'd just be careful with the handle to prevent any breakage. Congrats!

Wannaknowaboutsand said:
I have decided to get a Eheim canister filter. There are 2 Im deciding between.

the 2217 model and 2224 pro model. which one is the better deal?

I do want to get rid of the BIO wheels eventually. Who ever thought a moving part would be a good idea is a moron. If one stops even for a couple of hours I get ammonia spikes. The Magnum does not actually have enough output I think for BIO-wheel 60 pro system. Maybe if I take out the normal outlet completely. it will run better.

Also I think the bacteria is growing in the pre-filter for the carbon insert in the canister and not in the biowheels all.

So my plan is to buy one of the two eheim models and eliminate the bio wheels and (I have a quick filter attach to a power head on the opposite side of the tank for water movement) quick filter, but keep the magnum as a water polisher.

What do you think?
I think you should attach your pro 60 to your eheim. That's what I'm doing. I don't know for certain if it's best. But doesn't it make it a psuedo-wet/dry?

Wannaknowaboutsand said:
Did it come with rock media? What kind di you get if not?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back