EGGS‼️‼️

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SaFyQ448

Reaction score
OK, so I'm new at fishkeeping. And my corycats got it on because I found eggs in the tank!!! I'd love to have babies catfish but I don't think I'm ready yet. I think I'm gonna let natural selection work it's way and leave them in the tank as is, but if they do hatch I really need help. I've got filters in my aquarium that are way too powerful I'm scared it'll suck them up. I need advice on how to care for them if they hatch. Food habitat, whatever.
There's a ton of waterflow and I have no idea what to do!!

Attachments

• 16910942559036122518628503292685.jpg
    16910942559036122518628503292685.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 16910942685421912102605751893289.jpg
    16910942685421912102605751893289.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 16910942805863923337355668740948.jpg
    16910942805863923337355668740948.jpg
    324.8 KB · Views: 25
I don't know about cory eggs and their care, but in all cases putting a foam or very find mesh bag over the filter intake can prevent the fry from being sucked up the filter. As a matter of course I like to use prefilters because they allow the fish another crack at finding the food before it gets sucked into the filter. Your filter then mostly provides the substrate for the nitrifying bacteria.

Your could probably setup a little tank with a sponge filter, so they wouldn't get sucked up.

I think at this stage you are best to let nature takes its course. You can however plan ahead, as once Corydoras spawn they will be spawning again and again.

The eggs are the most vulnerable because they stick where the pair lay them. In a tank with fish, including the cories themselves, few will survive, as fish eggs are a high item on the menu of all freshwater fish. Eggs laid in "hidden" spots can survive, and hatch. The fry are better at surviving than the eggs because the fry can swim under cover. If you want fry, one important thing is to have dried leaves in the tank. These produce infusoria as they slowly (very slowly) decompose, which is the ideal first food of all fry. I have raised cory fry with just leaves, then adding Omega One shrimp pellets which are easy for the tiny fish to nibble on.

Uberhoust's advice was excellent for preventing fry being pulled into filters. In my former tank which was 70 gallons with an Eheim canister filter, that I cleaned every 2 to 3 months, I often found cory fry in the bottom of the filter. They got pulled in as fry (eggs are too sticky) and manged to live there for a few weeks. I netted them out and into my 20g QT tank for new fish which sat empty of fish most of the time, but was an established tank with sand, chunks of wood and thick floating plants. Dried leaves in here too, and the fry grew well. when large enough, they went back into the main tank.

The above works when you are not particularly desirous of raising dozens of fry. If you are, first thing is you must remove the eggs right after they are laid, or something is likely to eat them if there are fish. The cories themselves will eat them too. The eggs need to be very carefully removed from where they were laid and placed in a small tank of their own, sand substrate, plants, dried leaves. I once used a nylon fry net in the main tank, hanging from the tank frame in one corner. Dried leaves in here too.

I don't know about cory eggs and their care, but in all cases putting a foam or very find mesh bag over the filter intake can prevent the fry from being sucked up the filter. As a matter of course I like to use prefilters because they allow the fish another crack at finding the food before it gets sucked into the filter. Your filter then mostly provides the substrate for the nitrifying bacteria.
Plus it acts as a little sponge filter giving the beneficial bacteria another surface to grow on.

i know im late to the show but i actually collected the eggs with a sharp razor blade due to the fact they will eat the eggs i then use a container a beta fish comes in with just an air line in with 1 drop of methylene blue for a few days until the eggs hatch then the water changes daily as often and possible i do 2x a day 12 hrs apart cleaning out the bad eggs everytime and wait for hatch once egg sac is gone i start feeding hikari first bites very finely crushes up krill flakes and even a boiled egg yoke as a fist supplement i did that before i had a baby brine shrimp hatchery now i start em on boiled egg yoke and for a few days then live baby brine then i built me a egg bin as i call it under my 65 gallon i put a 10 gallon tank and i use this same system for my angels as well

Attachments

• fish hatchery.jpg
    fish hatchery.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0507.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 11

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back