Eggs Laid - How Do I Know If They Are Fertile?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

saz326

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My Apistos (cockatoo dwarf's) laid eggs yesterday.

The female decided to steer clear of the cave she had been living in, and spawned on the Filter pipe!! After she had been finished for several hours I removed around 2/3rds of the eggs to another tank as I couldnt stand watching them fall off the pipe and getting sucked into the filter!

This morning the remaining 3rd have been eaten.

I would like to know how I can tell if the eggs were fertilised. The male was at the scene, but he didnt ever get particularly close to the eggs, and I didnt see any milt flying around the place.

The eggs are currently varying shades of pink/peach. I have put a bubble curtain in the tank bubbling gently to keep airation up and try to prevent fungus. Am tempted to adda little anti-fungus treatment to help, but am not sure if I should.

Advise greatly recieved.

Thanks
sarah.

My Apistos (cockatoo dwarf's) laid eggs yesterday.

The female decided to steer clear of the cave she had been living in, and spawned on the Filter pipe!! After she had been finished for several hours I removed around 2/3rds of the eggs to another tank as I couldnt stand watching them fall off the pipe and getting sucked into the filter!

This morning the remaining 3rd have been eaten.

I would like to know how I can tell if the eggs were fertilised. The male was at the scene, but he didnt ever get particularly close to the eggs, and I didnt see any milt flying around the place.

The eggs are currently varying shades of pink/peach. I have put a bubble curtain in the tank bubbling gently to keep airation up and try to prevent fungus. Am tempted to adda little anti-fungus treatment to help, but am not sure if I should.

Advise greatly recieved.

Thanks
sarah.

Cichlids normally lay amber/pinky eggs, they will go white after a day or two if not fertilised!

Wouldnt bother with anti-fungus unless it becomes a problem ive never used it and have had hundreds of fry this month

as above but try to leave the eggs with the parents. If you hatch them artificially then often the babies won't rear up their young when they mature and breed. Then it becomes a nasty circle with fish breeding but eating their eggs straight away.
Give them a chance and they will usually look after their eggs and young. If they continue to eat them after about 6 batches then move the eggs to another tank.

as above but try to leave the eggs with the parents. If you hatch them artificially then often the babies won't rear up their young when they mature and breed. Then it becomes a nasty circle with fish breeding but eating their eggs straight away.
Give them a chance and they will usually look after their eggs and young. If they continue to eat them after about 6 batches then move the eggs to another tank.

Thanks Colin. Understood - but I couldnt watch them going up the spout this time. The eggs are normally left in the tank. Hate to do so as it is a connumity tank and tetras are always hungry.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back