Egg Laiden Ottos???

Mustang5L5

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have 5 ottos in my tank. They are easily my favorite fish in there right now.

I keep them well fed. They always chow down on algae in my tank but i give them supplimental foods. Their bellys have always been plump.

Tpday i noticed one otto had a HUGE belly. It's not just from feeding. It's probably the largest otto of my 5 and it's belly is pretty well rounded. All i can think is that this one is egg laiden. The other 4 are plump but nowhere near the level of this one.

Just out of curiousity how do ottos breed? That way i can notice if any breeding behavior takes place or did take place? How do they lay their eggs? My tank is very heavily planted so eggs scattered in the thickest plants do have a chance of hatching. I'm just not sure if ottos scatter or lay in bunches.

UPDATE:

Just observed this otto again and noticed there is a small clear/opaque tube protruding from between the pec fins ahead of the ventrical fins. It's not poop as it has been there for a few hours or so that i've noticed. I'm thinking egg tube.

In the later evening and night time all 5 of my ottos swim together and chase each other. Hopefully one of the 4 i have is a mature male.

But still looking for specifics on otto breeding.

Hi Mustang5L5

Good luck breeding your ottos! It doesn't seem to be a very common occurrence among aquarists and I cannot find much detailed information about it.

If you haven't been to this site yet, you may find it interesting.

http://www.otocinclus.com/

Please let us know how it works out. :D

Well, it's been a few days and this otto's belly is definitely larger. It is behaving as normal and feeding normally and pooping so i beleive it is eggs.

This otto is the largest in the tank. The others are somewhat smaller so i don't beleive they are very mature. Maybe tomorrow i'll pick up a few larger ottos and hopefully one is a mature male.

Maybe i'll get some otto babies out of this (wishful thinking)

Hi Mustang5L5 :)

It does sound like she wants to spawn. You must be so excited! :thumbs:

Have you thought about picking up an inexpensive 10 gallon tank to use as a breeding tank?

It would be such a shame for her to spawn and for the eggs to get eaten. :sad:

I just don't have the room for another tank. If she does breed it will need to be in that tank.

Anyway i got 2 more ottos so now she has 6 others to mingle with. I was looking for an excuse to buy some more anyway. I love the guys, they keep my tank spotless. :D

I'll keep an eye out and hopefully she well lay them on a leaf that i can clip and remove.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back