Egg Bound Female

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Night61

Fish Herder
Reaction score
my little crown tail siren is egg bound, i have tried Epsom salts and boy bettas and she still is not dropping. i have had a number of deaths in my 26 gallon over the last few weeks and i rather not add my little siren to the list, can you give me anything else i could to help her?

I believe this concerns the fish in this topic, with pics; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=285523&hl=

By those pics there may be one of a few things, or perhaps a combination. Epsom salt will generally relieve constipation. For tough cases you can add a little to food. If this doesn't do the trick, consider bacterial problems or eggbound.

You can treat both of these at once, for eggbound fish I go with a long term fast, 4 weeks, with the hope that the eggs will be absorbed by the fish being in starvation. Couple this with Maracyn & Maracyn II. Ignore the directions on the package, 50% water change daily & remed, for at least 10 days, even if the fish seems to be doing better. Fast this entire time, after 10 days start on a very light low protein diet, small amounts of food.

This is what I do for cichlids with this problem. While bettas are not cichlids, trying something is better than trying nothing.

It amazes me that people can go over 40 posts on about a dozen fish poorly kept in a shop, but you can get only one response between two topic on a couple of ill fish, that are owned by a member as pets. More concern is shown for fish in a shop that no member is personally attached to yet, but the ones that a member may well have a personal attachment to are ignored. What sort of sense does that make?

The information on how to help these fish may be of use to any rescued fish kept in poor conditions. Without having to wait two days for information you might have the answer on what to do, how long it will take, and what results to expect. You are perhaps helping yourself in the future by helping others now.

I don't have an answer for you sorry, mine get like siren occasionally but they either sort themselves out or a bit of pea helps. Anyways heres a bump for you so hopefully someone with better advice will see your post. Good luck x x

the Epsom salt bath seems to be helping, the swelling in her abdomen is going down.

and to comment on what Tolak said, i am very frustrated with this section of the fish forums, instead of helping someone with a sick fish you seem more interested in attacking random ebayers. try helping the people with a pet currently. people will eventually wise up when it comes to there bettas. instead this forum has become full of self righteous fish owners. this forum is meant to be a place were we help each other raise and care for the pets we own in the best possible way.
having two post on this forum when i have a sick fish that needs help and to be ignored, is wrong and you of this forum should be ashamed of yourselves.

Hmm i agree with sailor to an extent...i wouldnt say ashamed but maybe apalled that there have been no replies. As far as how to deal with this, I would go with what tolak said. I have never had an egg bound female before but his response seems to be the right path to take.

This is such a complicated forum if you want specific replies you should go to a specific forum, which is what I do. I am a member of a betta forum, snail forum, cavy forum and am currently looking for a good canary one!

On the subject of your eggy girl, I hope you can help her one of mine almost popped she was so eggy. I treated her with clean water and dropsy treatment(weak solution) she is much slimmer now but has a lesion where she almost popped. She is an old girl so I am just trying to keep her comfortanle :good:

This is such a complicated forum if you want specific replies you should go to a specific forum, which is what I do. I am a member of a betta forum, snail forum, cavy forum and am currently looking for a good canary one!

On the subject of your eggy girl, I hope you can help her one of mine almost popped she was so eggy. I treated her with clean water and dropsy treatment(weak solution) she is much slimmer now but has a lesion where she almost popped. She is an old girl so I am just trying to keep her comfortanle :good:

siren is still a young girl in a tank that has i have had a recent string of deaths in, (for no reason too the water tests came back normal) so i am very concern for her well being, she is my only crown tail, so i am doing my best for her.
may i ask what kind if dropsy treatment? i didn't think there was any treatment for dropsy

Hi sailornight6 :)

may i ask what kind if dropsy treatment? i didn't think there was any treatment for dropsy

There's not usually a lot you can do for it because it's often the result of complications from a bacterial infection, such as kidney damage. Tetracycline might help, but if a fish is pine coning, it's probably too late to do much good.

I hope your betta gets well soon.

she is showing some improvement, the Epsom treatment that tolak recommended seems to be helping. she gets an epsom bath once a day and actually comes out to be netted in the morning knowing she is getting the bath, so she must feel better afterwords too.
she is eating and swimming well as well, i am cautiously optimistic that she will pull threw

Most reactions

trending

Back