Effects Of Cyanobacteria

Invader Xan

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I noticed at the start of the weekend, my tank had the beginnings of cyanobacteria (unnatural looking blueish green stuff on my substrate and covering part of my java moss). :crazy: Following the site advice, I blacked out my tank completely for three days -- sealed the glass panes off with black card and covered the whole thing with some black cloth.

I uncovered my tank today to find that (finger crossed) there's pretty much no trace of the nasty stuff. Need to keep an eye out for it in the future...

The last thread I posted here identified that my java ferns need more food. I figured in the meantime that my cyanobacteria problem was a more pressing concern. However, the healthy java fern leaves have grown noticeably in the three days, as has my java moss (which still seriously needs pruning). I was wondering if maybe the cyanobacteria was partly to blame for eating up nutrients the plants would have otherwise had. :blink:
In hindsight, I've had some trace of cyanobacteria on my substrate for some time now.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Alternatively, does anyone have any good advice on helping to keep cyanobacteria out of my tank?
For one thing, I'm going to be buying some more shrimp to increase the nitrate level (it was only 5ppm the last time I checked).

Thanks in advance! :)

Cant say Ive any idea if it could but compared to the plant bio mass unless you have a very very very bad infestation of the BGA I doubt it'd be sucking enough nutrients out of the water to make a difference to the plants, esp java fern and moss as both are very hardy.

I think you may have answered your own question there, keep NO3 over 10ppm, it seems to be more prone in tanks with low NO3 levels.

Sam

Most reactions

Back