Effective natural/home remedies?

My problem with the ingredients list is its vagueness. Saying there are coffee beans is one thing - saying there caffeine is another. I know what caffeine does (not a fish med...)
As more and more jurisdictions crack down on irresponsible antibiotic use, other tested and true meds will also get caught up in the net. That will create openings for mysterious herbal medications for fish - that's a growing business.
I know people who throw pre-1970s US copper pennies into tanks to kill velvet. People use salt in wild ways, all the time. Heat is used on Ich, though I see it as a high health cost, harmful treatment. Then again, I keep rainforest fish that can die above 24-25 degrees.

An issue I've noticed is that many herbal extracts can have the desired effects on paper, but at concentrations we can't manage. Some are proven anti-bacterials but that would kill fish as well at the doses we'd need.

I think we are in a mess. We have to source healthy fish, or they will be afflicted with diseases we can't treat. But we want the cheapest fish we can get. We've never been able to create longterm hobbyist breeding networks to sidestep the farm problem. And we now want to buy our fish online, sight unseen. That last thing leaves us wide open to buying diseases.

Since antibiotics were banned where I am, we haven't lost more fish. Almost no hobbyists bothered to learn how to use them anyway. More experienced aquarists learned to quarantine, and to do regular preventative maintenance. Newer hobbyists often seemed to want alternatives to water changes and care for their fish, and that's counter-productive. So we go in circles, shooting ourselves in the feet.

I bought a batch of cardinals many weeks ago, and today, I moved them to main tank to add to my older group. I QT for at least 2 to 3 months. It's pretty effective.
I am inclined to agree, it seems little can be done if they’re already ailing upon arrival, despite all my efforts.
I have a tank showing signs of intestinal parasites, they have been in qt since their arrival and wanted to know if there were alternatives to praziquantel, as fish grade prazi is expensive and difficult to source in my area. Not game to do the math on dog dewormer, as some have suggested.

Yeah, you got me on to the salt when my guppies weren’t doing too well, ☺️
I now use it at low concentrations routinely for the fish that can tolerate it. My tanks are also heavily planted, so I’m hesitant to use large doses.
You don't want to add salt (sodium chloride) to tanks unless there is a fish health issue. Adding salt regularly (when not treating diseases) to tanks that contain fishes that aren't brackish water can cause long term health problems.

I am inclined to agree, it seems little can be done if they’re already ailing upon arrival, despite all my efforts.
I have a tank showing signs of intestinal parasites, they have been in qt since their arrival and wanted to know if there were alternatives to praziquantel, as fish grade prazi is expensive and difficult to source in my area. Not game to do the math on dog dewormer, as some have suggested.
Praziquantel only treats tapeworm and gill flukes. The worms most commonly found in fish are round/ thread worms and you need Levamisole or Flubendazole for that.

I have been hunting online, and I don’t think I can get either of those here 😭😭
Will have to ship from overseas, potentially pay customs. If you have any specific brands or products that you can recommend so I’m not wasting time and money, it would be appreciated 🙏🏻

You don't want to add salt (sodium chloride) to tanks unless there is a fish health issue. Adding salt regularly (when not treating diseases) to tanks that contain fishes that aren't brackish water can cause long term health problems.
Noted. I primarily keep guppies and endlers and everyone seems to have benefited from it so far, but will discontinue. It’s a very small dose, like a half a tablespoon in 70L or a full tbsp in 180.

I have been hunting online, and I don’t think I can get either of those here 😭😭
Will have to ship from overseas, potentially pay customs. If you have any specific brands or products that you can recommend so I’m not wasting time and money, it would be appreciated 🙏🏻

Use 1ml of this stuff for every 7 litres of aquarium water. The bottle should treat about 875 litres.

---------------------

If you have a lot of tanks or a big tank, you can buy the stuff below and it is more concentrated. You use it at 1ml per 12 litres of tank water. The 1 litre bottle treats around 12,000 litres.

Keep the medication cool and out of bright light. I kept mine in the fridge door. You don't need to turn the tank light off when using it.
*NB* Make sure children and animals can't get it. It's pretty hard to overdose on the stuff and it tastes awful but some kids and animals are stupid and drink it anyway.

---------------------

To work out the volume of water in the tank:
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000.
= volume in litres.

When you measure the height, measure from the top of the substrate to the top of the water level.

If you have big rocks or driftwood in the tank, remove these before measuring the height of the water level so you get a more accurate water volume.

You can use a permanent marker to draw a line on the tank at the water level and put down how many litres are in the tank at that level.

There is a calculator/ converter in the "FishForum.net Calculator" under "Useful Links" at the bottom of this page that will let you convert litres to gallons if you need it.

Remove carbon from the filter before treating with chemicals or it will adsorb the medication and stop it working. You do not need to remove the carbon if you use salt.

Last edited:
I have zeolite in the filters, will that be affected and should I remove it?
Should I remove the crushed coral too? Also, is it invertebrate safe? If I have ghost shrimp, should I remove before treating?
Should I treat all tanks, even if they’re not showing signs?

Why have you got Zeolite in the filter?
It stops the beneficial filter bacteria developing. You don't want it in the filter or aquarium.

Crushed coral can stay in the tank.

Yes, treat all your aquariums at the same time even if none of the others show any symptoms.

Levamisole is fine for invertebrates like shrimp and snails.

--------------------

Instructions for deworming fish can be found at the following link under section 3.

The zeolite is at the very end of the filter, not throughout, but its the last media the water runs through before the water outlet.
Thats how it was explained to me to use it by an aquarium supplier? To help control NH3/NH4+ spikes when cycling or increasing stock, but still heaps of surface area and other media for BB before the water reaches that last separate compartment. Can take a picture if you like?

If by 'aquarium supplier' you mean a fish store, ignore them. You don't need zeolite in a tank, period. When adding new fish the bacteria can increase their numbers within a few hours. There should not be any ammonia spikes unless you do something to kill the bacteria.

If there's any carbon/charcoal in the filter, that too needs to be removed before adding medication.

IMG_7792.png

If by 'aquarium supplier' you mean a fish store, ignore them. You don't need zeolite in a tank, period. When adding new fish the bacteria can increase their numbers within a few hours. There should not be any ammonia spikes unless you do something to kill the bacteria.

If there's any carbon/charcoal in the filter, that too needs to be removed before adding medication.

This is NOT my LFS, came across it when searching for something else.
There are so many misconceptions and so much misinformation out there, and then there’s every fishkeepers personal experience contradicting everything.
it’s hard to know what to trust.
Like I really like Seachem, and a huge portion of fishkeeping hobbyists swear by Prime.
But apparently its impossible to do what it promises to on the bottle, the chemistry just doesn’t work.

The picture of the zeolite does not like like zeolite. Normal zeolite is white and feels like it has a chalky powder on it. The granules are around 3-5mm and gravel shaped. You can get bigger pieces but it's not brown or grey. I would say the company advertising that has the wrong picture for the product.

Zeolites adsorbs ammonia and holds it. You can get it to release the ammonia by soaking the zeolite in salt water for 24 hours.

Most reactions

Back