Eco-Complete Substrate

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Supersalmon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I am going for a densely planted tank and would like to use eco-complete substrate, however it seems very expensive. I have a 400 litre tank and as a result would need a lot of substrate. Can I mix or layer the eco-complete with other plain gravels and if so is it better to layer it or mix it. Will I also need to feed the plants if I have this substrate in place?

You can mix gravels, or you can do gravel layers. Sand or florite would make excellent layers under the eco-complete, using the eco-complete as planting media! Dosing ferts will be necessary-- but only after tank reaches a comfortable balance.

If I used a heating cable covered with sand and eco-complete on top that would be fine for the plants? It would also save me some money too. What depth of eco-complete should I use? soory for all the questions and thanks for your help

Unless you live in Alaska or Siberia, you don't need a substrate heater.

Eco-Complete is the best commercial substrate IMHO. It looks great, and it's saturated with all the goodies that plants need (even 4,486.78 ppm of titanium!), not to mention that it's bi-modal, in that it contains different grades of thickness, from sand gradually to gravel-size chunks and it requires no pre-washing. It's jet black. I mean JET black. If you're thinking about using that Home Depot sand, forget it. Don't even bother with the E-C becuase you're substrate is going to look like :sick: and you'll waste ur $$$. You'd be better off going with sand and laterite. Anyway, I picked up some black beach sand when on a day-trip up PCH. Honestly, I thought this sand was going to match the Eco-Complete, but it turned out to be way lighter (you know, sort of grayish comparitively) but it would still look good mixen in with the E-C because it was really dark. Mix it with either Onyx sand or just some black sand, that would be the best IMO. E-C and Flourite??? Maybe, but that will cost you just as much as another bag of E-C.

Suggested depth is 3" or 2 lbs/g. So it's basically one bag for every 10g.

TOO funky for me. :p I try to cover it with a layer of sand if I can.

Most reactions

Back