Easy To Breed, Non Violent, Egg Laying Fish?

jdsworld8

Reaction score
Are there any easy to breed Easy to breed, non violent, egg laying fish? Other than Danios? A few types of barbs and tetras that breed in maybe a week or two? Breeds in a spawning mop.

Mine do not use a spawning mop but I find rainbow cichlids, Herotilapia multispinosa, easy to breed. They are vegetarian by nature and are therefore easy on their tank-mates most of the time. When they breed they can get quite territorial but will only chase other fish from their territory and then stop the chase. As long as the other fish respect their territory, nobody is really injured. You can bring them into breeding condition fairly quickly if you feed them wads of the algae that are ruining your other tanks or some of the duckweed that you really don't like on the other tanks. The plant matter cannot come from their own tank because they are ravenous plant eaters. No real plant that I have tried has ever survived for long in their tank.
My Herotilapia
6Rainbows800b.jpg

Right after breeding with fry in the picture and the male in breeding colors
MomAndChild_800.jpg

Kribensis!

kribensis.jpg

The pair I have just bread!

The one male and female only been together for a little over 1 week, and what do you know, they have spawned!

-FHM

but kribs are very agressive to bottom dwellers, while breeding and sometimes when they arent breeding

Kribs, yes get a little aggressive during spawning, but only if the other fish come near. Compared to my other fish I have, Kribs are not that aggressive at all. Every now and then they push the other fish away, but that's it.

Plus, if you are breeding them strictly, you should really only have one type of fish in the tank. Like if you are breeding kribs, then you should only have kribs in the tank, maybe with a few exceptions.

-FHM

well, sometimes you get kribs that arent so agressive, but yeah, usually you should have breeding fish alone, i have my kribs in a 17 gallon now, but i plan on breeding bolivian rams in my 130 gallon, i dont think they are so agressive.

in my eyes, there is no point in breeding fish that are easy to breed, how boring would it be! why not set yourself some sort of a challenge, something not easy! something that will keep you on your toes.
kribs are easy to breed, not awfully sought after so not particularly easy to get rid of.
i would breed something that aint too easy, something that will need your time and effort, you would be much better rewarded in the long run.

Some fish that are easy to breed are also hard to raise, like rainbows. Getting the eggs to hatch is the easy part, and since the fry are so tiny when first hatched it's hard to feed them. They require live foods to raise (vinegar eels and baby brine shrimp once a little older fit the bill nicely.) I have experimented with Hikari First Bites as a suppliment feed, and the results were good, but I wouldn't feed it alone.

which Mop spawners breed the easiest?

Thanks Everyone for the replies. I've been breeding livebearers and cichlids all my life and wanted to try a tetra or a barb. Since this is my first time breeding a cyprinid and even a characin, I would like something easy. I am already considering rosy barbs, any other suggestions? I am thinking of breeding a fish that gets to big to be eaten by the adults in about a month. Fish like the silver tipped tetra, which gets adult coloration within a month. I know what tetras and barbs can and can't be bred, but I was wondering which ones breed the fastest and easiest? I am mainly looking for a fish that breeds in spawning mops, so essentially I am asking the Question, which Mop spawners breed the easiest?

I've had a male and two female Rosy Barbs for about 3 months now, and though they show signs of courtship once in a while I don't think I've had any spawning.
But they are ravenous scroungers, and I don't think any eggs or fry would last long with them around.
I have 4 platies, and have seen a couple of fry from them, but none have ever lasted - and its certainly the barbs that are finding and eating them.

Barbs and tetras are egg scatterers not mop spawners. Rainbows and kilifish are mop spawners.

Really? I never knew that. Thank you. Do you have any info on breeding neon rainbows? I heard neon dwarfs mop scattered their eggs so I was iffy about them.

I've had a male and two female Rosy Barbs for about 3 months now, and though they show signs of courtship once in a while I don't think I've had any spawning.
But they are ravenous scroungers, and I don't think any eggs or fry would last long with them around.
I have 4 platies, and have seen a couple of fry from them, but none have ever lasted - and its certainly the barbs that are finding and eating them.

Have you ever bred any egg layers?

Breeding rainbows is simple. You put a mop make of synthetic yarn about the depth of the tank. You pace that mop in the tank and add a cycled sponge filter and the females and males you want to breed. You condition them feeding live and frozen foods as well as some high quality flake. Check the mop everyday to see if there are eggs (they look like tiny glass beads.) Once you have enough eggs in the mop, remove the parents and 7 to 10 days later you should have a nice group of fry in the tank. Feed the newly hatched fry vinegar eels until they are large enough to take baby brine shrimp. Do not change the water in that tank for at least 2 weeks to give the sensitive fry a chance to survive. Keep the sponge filter barely running s as not to put too much current on the fry. After they have been on baby brine shrimp for a while and are showing good growth it's time to try pulverized flakes.

That's the short version of it. It sounds harder than it actually is.

kribs are easy to breed, not awfully sought after so not particularly easy to get rid of.

actually where i live, there is a shortage of kribs, a guy at my lfs said i could make ok money breeding them

i hope you are successful with breeding whatever you decide to breed

Most reactions

Back