Easiest to Breed?

mike45

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

What do all you guys believe is the easiest livebearer to get to breed? And how many fish do you get when you want them to breed? How many males and females?

Thanks

Hi mike45 any of the livebearers are easy and the ratio of fish is the same for all of them pretty much. If you are going to breed them carefully select a dominant male and 3 females that have characteristics that you like. So the ratio is 3-1. This will give the females time to rest in between advances from the male. The easiest of the guppies, mollies, platies and swords is the guppy. They are baby making machines. they give birth about every 21-28 days and the brood sizes increase as the female gets older. The platies are next they have babies about every month. Then swords and mollies tend to be around 5-6 weeks between broods. There is an excellent pinned article at the top of this section that will give you some valuable info as well. HTH :)

I also agree on guppies for being the easiest to breed, actually you don't even need to make any special conditions for them, just add a male to a female and you should be expecting fry within a month. Also, increasing the temperature will speed up developement of the fry so you'll have more fry sooner. Just remember livebearers do bad in acidic water.

ENDLERS are the easiest to breed. They drop about 20-25 at a time,and unless they are deformed,they ALL survive. I started with 8 of them,and within 7 or so months I had over 100+ endlers in my ten gallon. :crazy: I've sold so many I can't even say how many. :lol:

Agreed, endlers are almost ridiculously easy to breed. The hardest part of breeding elders is figuring out what to do with all the fry. I have a betta who I feed some of my fry- thats why i got them in the first place- but lately, as I've grown soft on them and am finding it harder and harder to do.

ok yea who did u sell all of those fish to? im looking into breeding multiple kinds of fish and would eventually like to sell.

In my experience, guppies every time. Your problem won't be breeding them - but getting rid of them once you've bred them :)

All of them are prolific.

However, the more mature, the larger the batch.

Also, mollies tend to have a lot more fry, seeing as how they're so big and can handle it.

my platy bread easily. she minght have came pregnate or she did a little hankey pankey with one of the males.

Most reactions

Back