Easiest Fish To Breed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What is the easiest fish to breed in smaller tanks?

• Bettas

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Platies

• Swordtails

• Other Livebeaer(Comment below)

• Other(Comment below)

• Total voters

Ethos

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I'd like to start another project whilst' my Nano is cycling, and getting preped for corals and fish. So I'd like a fishy project.
I was thinking of breeding bettas, but I'm not so sure.
Tell me what you think, and what you think is easiest to breed.

Platies. I haven't bought too many, but every female that I have bought was either pregnant when I purchased her, or got pregnant while keeping them. My sworldtails have bred once, and my cories have never, as far as I know.

I've tried Platies and Swordtails, and I failed. Nothing survived, except 3-5 fry.
They eventually died to to my ill-prepairment.

personally I've had swordtails for over a year (male and two females) and zero babies, on the other hand I've been keeping kribs since may and had one set spawn and just recently had a pair of their babies spawn, w/ no prepping or anything just stick them in water feed them give them some driftwood and cichlids are much more fun then livebearers as they take care of their babies

Phillip

Like MXP I bought a pair of kribs and they had babies within a few weeks in the community tankMine however took care of their babies by eating the lot of them!

Hi Ethos :)

As a general rule, livebearing fish are easier to breed than fish that lay eggs. Fry that are born live are much bigger and easier to feed than fry that have hatched from eggs, and so they have a head start in live. It takes weeks to raise a cory fry from the time it hatches until the time it is as big as a new born guppy. :D

Since you said smaller tanks, I'd say Guppies or Platies. The other Livebearers like Swordtails and Mollies don't fit that well in smaller tanks, and tend to get stressed out easier. Which can give you birthing troubles.

I'd go for Guppies, as long as you are prepared and have a place to keep or give the fry away to. :) There's lots of topics in the Livebearer section that will probably help you out.

Convicts. I had two ten gallons, bred a pair in each, with very little trouble, except for one female being killed one day.

The pink pair was probably the best parents ever. They viciously attacked anything that was inserted into the water, including my digits. God bless them, they were angelic parents :rolleyes:

Definetly convicts. They would breed in a puddle of water during an earthquake caused by a volcano explosion if given half a chance. (That was a bit of an exaggeration) Rabbits cant hold a candle to convicts. Seriously, a convict can put out more babies than a two pairs of rats and two pairs of rabbits combined.

convicts and guppies. rabbits of the amazon.

DD

Im going for guppy’s...Guppy’s tend to breed whether you want them to or not and can breed in some pretty appalling conditions (not that you'd want to have appalling conditions in your tank, anyhoo.), since I stopped using breeding nets many months ago, and haven’t really bothered to set up a fry tank since I got my house, I’ve found that guppy’s are by the most successful breeders- the platys are good, but they tend to eat their fry an awful lot, while as I always find that in a large batch of guppy fry you will always get a couple of survivors.
Molly’s can produce huge quantities of fry, but they can be slow breeders and have one of the longest pregnancy times for livebearers plus their fry can take over a year till they are full grown- molly’s also chow down their own fry like there’s no tomorrow given a chance and their fry often die when they don't have enough room to grow...
Either way though when it comes to breeding any fish, make sure you have space for the fry as they mature and somewhere for them to go to when they grow up, with fish like guppy’s its easy to get over-run with them they are so successful at breeding.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back