Dying cardinal tetra

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

elephantnose3334

Fishaholic
Reaction score
One of my cardinal tetras are dying. The tetra is not moving and they were stuck in the plastic plants 3 times so I had to free them each time. The tetra seems healthy and I did a water change to prevent the tetra from being on the ground, but it didn't work. They're breathing rapidly, lost some iridescence near the top fin and cannot swim with the others. Does this tetra have disease or are they healthy-looking but dying peacefully?

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 32
Fish don't get caught in plastic plants. They go there to hide because they are already sick.

It is probably the result of those long periods with no consistent water changes that you were having trouble with. Stay on the weekly changes and there is a chance it may recover.

Fish don't get caught in plastic plants. They go there to hide because they are already sick.

It is probably the result of those long periods with no consistent water changes that you were having trouble with. Stay on the weekly changes and there is a chance it may recover.
I thought they were stuck. My mind thought they were stuck.

When they are sick they sometimes get washed into plants or onto a filter intake and get stuck there.

The tetra looks bloated and appears to be bloated in the body and face. This is normally an internal bacterial infection and there's no cure. If it's not eating, breathing heavily, and not swimming with the others, it's best to euthanise the fish.

It's important to always do a water change when a fish dies in the tank so make sure you do that before you go to bed or first thing in the morning

Most reactions

Back