Dwarf Puffer In A Community Tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bobtastic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi all,

I would really like to have a DP, is there a species that is placid enough to live in harmony with other fishies in a community setup?

Im just gonna say something that is going to defy the belief

Basically, a few months back i brought 2 female DP's ;)

put them in a VERY VERY heavily planted 20gallon tank! days went passed, and i noticed that the larger female would seek out the smaller one and attack her, it was upsetting, but it went on and on; gradually the small female became very very shy and timid... anyway, i went out one day; got back and the larger one had passed away :'( So i decided to put the female (mr.wally) in the community tank, months have now passed, and she has grown; but has remained very shy and timid; the tank has 2 rams in and rummy nose tetras, a BN pleco and a Flying fox; she hasnt touched them at all, she minds her own business, she will swim around, and the rams and tetras do not mind at all; infact she always gives them the classic sideways glance to say "please dont hurt me" she is one of a kind i think!

now i put it down to the bulling she used to receive, but she is full size now, and she is brilliant! it's worked for me, and i think im lucky; but dont risk it!

BUT THEY SHOULD BE SPECIES ONLY LIKE YOUNGFISHER SAID!

Yeah - Its a risk, if you do attempt it make sure you have a back up tank for the DP that is ready and cycled etc.

arrrrrr poor little thing, glad its working out well now bagu. Sounds like a lovely fish.

Hmm, thought I read somewhere that they could be ok with otos.
I'm not positive on that.
I don't know if I would want to risk it though.

arrrrrr poor little thing, glad its working out well now bagu. Sounds like a lovely fish.

hehe thanks :wub:

ill try and upload some pics! its so hard to focus, you go near her and she will give you the glance and bobble away :lol:

Yeah DP's are ok with ottos and shrimps - just add the ottos and shrimps before else the DP's wont be happy.

put them in a VERY VERY heavily planted 20gallon tank! days went passed, and i noticed that the larger female would seek out the smaller one and attack her, it was upsetting, but it went on and on; gradually the small female became very very shy and timid... anyway, i went out one day; got back and the larger one had passed away :'( So i decided to put the female (mr.wally) in the community tank, months have now passed, and she has grown; but has remained very shy and timid; the tank has 2 rams in and rummy nose tetras, a BN pleco and a Flying fox; she hasnt touched them at all, she minds her own business, she will swim around, and the rams and tetras do not mind at all; infact she always gives them the classic sideways glance to say "please dont hurt me" she is one of a kind i think!

now i put it down to the bulling she used to receive, but she is full size now, and she is brilliant! it's worked for me, and i think im lucky; but dont risk it!

what a sweet sounding little girl, they have really communicative eyes dont they, one of mine does that side ways thing so cute.

It is recommended a species tank be set up for dwarf puffers & its for good reason,they are cute little things & you may think they couldnt do any damage but boy they can be vicious. They seem to tolerate otto's & shrimp, but anything other than that isnt advised.

what a sweet sounding little girl, they have really communicative eyes dont they, one of mine does that side ways thing so cute.

It is recommended a species tank be set up for dwarf puffers & its for good reason,they are cute little things & you may think they couldnt do any damage but boy they can be vicious. They seem to tolerate otto's & shrimp, but anything other than that isnt advised.

hehe, she is great :) if she ever does decide to take a walk on the wild side, ill move her; but she seems so settled ^^ :wub:

you still an eager beaver for your channas :p? dont think you sill be sleeping well tonight xP

lol, i'm such a big kid, I may nip off soon with glass of wine & a book & go to sleep early so morning comes quick, how sad am I?

lol, i'm such a big kid, I may nip off soon with glass of wine & a book & go to sleep early so morning comes quick, how sad am I?

hehe, im the same when i had a plant coming xD

hehe good night! hope you sleep well hehe!

I have 1 male dwarf puffer in a 10gal with 2 leopord danios, a glass fish and a tiny bristlenose and he's doing fine...

I just feed him blackworms and the rest get tetra crisps.... :)

Most reactions

Back