Dwarf Puffer Advice

Like the names :D Mine are just known as 'The Puffs' although my OH calls them the velociraptors as he thinks they are just like the velociraptors on Jurassic Park :lol:

LOL I can see what he means! Trying to get mine use to snails at the moment which is interesting ;)

The gang name is the Sugar Puff Gang (yes i know crazy :hyper: )

LOL I can see what he means! Trying to get mine use to snails at the moment which is interesting ;)

The gang name is the Sugar Puff Gang (yes i know crazy :hyper: )

haha :p mine used to go for snails but then didn't even bother noticing them ^^

but i noticed she used to always "nibble" on the lava rock :wub:

LOVE the name lol ;) :good:

Well mini update. Yesterday we took him out the tank and put in a container and showered with blood worm, left for a good while and peeked on now and again but no luck he did not eat. Today he had a little more colour... he actually came out during feeding time but was backing off the food when others came near (piggy is pretty vicious when it comes to food). So we made a tank divide (alex held) while I dropped some in for him, he went up to it and then backed off. hmmmm....

His belly is still slight round, not flat so not too worried he hasn't eaten in a while, the only thing me and alex thought of was on Sunday last added a mini elite filter to run in the tank and get the good stuff. From Monday / Tuesday he had lost colouring and become subdued. I dont think it is this as whenever the others go near him (specially) in a group he bolts or tries to get away. He sulks in his fav patch and does not move often, only time does is to interact with me or alex. Tank is here tomorrow so hopefully will see him perk up in solitary,.

I am not shocked that he didn't eat in the container you had him in. I wouldn't either :lol:

Have you thought of soaking some food in garlic juice then giving it to him when using the tank divider? Often a good cure for puffers who aren't eating.

When he gets his new tank I am sure he will perk up when he realises it's his very own palace and start eating again :D

I sure hope so! I will place him in the tank and get some live food to tempt him over the weekend as well as sacrifice one of my breeding snails all good temptation i hope :)

Update tom!

haha :p hopefully he will come round :)

I think a snail... or 2 :p and live bloodworms might get him back i the mood in his own little home :wub:

Hi,

I have a question about dwarf puffers. Do they puff up like the regular sized puffers?

haha :p hopefully he will come round :)

I think a snail... or 2 :p and live bloodworms might get him back i the mood in his own little home :wub:

What if the puffer has never eaten snails before? How do you know the puffer will eat a snail? Do you have to crush the snail first?

From what I understand they do puff up but it can just make them look fat on such a small fish! I have had almost a month and they have only changed colour;) very cute.

With snails mine have only ever been fed blood worm I have only tried snails twice. My advice is put in live ones so they know it is food, the crushed ones did absolutely nothing. Out of the 3 live I put in there 2 were definately half eaten and the 3rd remains unknown :blink: .

I do think though only 2 out of 4 know they are food, once have bred my snails will shower the tank with more than one or two to get their hunting skills going, hopefully! It is super cute to watch their cross eyed approach on a snail trying to figure out what the new moving object is. :hyper:

I sure hope so! I will place him in the tank and get some live food to tempt him over the weekend as well as sacrifice one of my breeding snails all good temptation i hope :)

Update tom!

Awww... bless him :wub: One of my oldies went off food on 3 or 4 occasions. Luckily, he recovered after a few days. I always get worried when he does that since he's my most outgoing and fearless DP. He picks baby snails out of my finger tips. I think one time he must have bashed himself into glass since he had a red mark on his forehead together with a little nose bleed. I feared the worst but luckily he came round after about a week of hiding. The other times is just indigestion being the pig in the tank :lol:

Hope your little puff perks up soon :)

@ Whitester
They do puff but is rarely seen on healthy happy adults. The adults puff when threatened and in severe fights with each other. Babies seem to puff for practice but still rare.

Mine ignore completely crushed snails. They love slightly crushed baby snails since they can eat the whole thing. They have to learn to recognise it though. Look away snail lovers :look: , the slightly crushed snails will still crawl around so the puffs can see it moving.

Yeah..they have to learn :crazy: lol

Hmmmm....main man has perked up a lot this morning! He has a lot of his colouring back and he has moved from the spot! Still not his usual self but this is an improvement unless he relapses tonight when home from work. Will see if he feeds tonight and may have to get everyones opinon.. Definately was going to as he would barely move from the spot, pale almost white in colour and not eating, but noww..... hmmmm my babies are worst than kids!

He still hasn't followed the pack but than he was a bit of a grumpy loner to start with. Wait and see fingers crossed! Grrrr.. now have two spare tanks coming (one was for a betta but partner changed his mind so using his tank as he wants a nano marine and may have a 5g spare if don't move but can always keep aside for emergencies, though then again getting ahead of self and he may still need moving ;))

p.s. those are cute babies in your piccys iSnail (are the dwarf puffer fry or am I too obsessed - cute anyways)

That's a good sign :good: Give it a little while and hopefully he should start eating. As long as he's not harassed by the others, he should be fine :)

p.s. those are cute babies in your piccys iSnail (are the dwarf puffer fry or am I too obsessed - cute anyways)

Don't know how I missed this :blush: but yes, they are dwarf puffer fry, so is one in my avatar. Lots more DP pics in my albums too. Talk about obsession :rolleyes: :lol:

Most reactions

Back