Dwarf Lionfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fiskkeeperpro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I kno this might be a bit ambitious lol :look: but, is there any dwarf lionfish that could like in a 12 gal long? It has 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 red hermits, 1 unknown hermit and 6 snails, would they be compatible? If yes, what would i feed it and would it be suitable to live with corals?

thx
will

I kno this might be a bit ambitious lol :look: but, is there any dwarf lionfish that could like in a 12 gal long? It has 2 cleaner shrimps, 2 red hermits, 1 unknown hermit and 6 snails, would they be compatible? If yes, what would i feed it and would it be suitable to live with corals?

thx
will
12 gallons is to small IMO

they don't need huge tanks

for a Fu Manchu lionfish (Dendrochirus biocellatus) the recommended minimum is 20 gallons

They wont touch your corals

Dwarf lionfish, in nature, rarely consume fish; rather, shrimp and true crabs are their main targets. So any of these living in a reef should be eaten in due time.

Can anyone explain to me the best way to wean dwarf lions onto dead foods? Preferably without the use of ghost shrimp as the pet store guy wants two bucks for them...

Dwarf lionfish, in nature, rarely consume fish; rather, shrimp and true crabs are their main targets. So any of these living in a reef should be eaten in due time.

Can anyone explain to me the best way to wean dwarf lions onto dead foods? Preferably without the use of ghost shrimp as the pet store guy wants two bucks for them...

I got mine eating frozen by getting a block of frozen mysis and waving a bit above his head

As bits floated down he ate them

After a while he was hand feeding

Onve he got the hang of frozen there was never any problem feeding him but it had to be moving - wouldnt feed of the bottom

never done this before but i did read about it, stick a silverside onto a clear acrilic rod, wave it around the tank like a injured fish swimming, hopefully the lion is stupid enough....

the closest i have come to getting mine to eat dead food is throwing it in later an night near the stream of the powerhead when i can see the lionfish. that way, i know he will see the food and is gets blown around. as far as fish on a stick, mine has yet to respond to it because it is stagnant and they are about the hunt.

I got mine eating frozen by getting a block of frozen mysis and waving a bit above his head

Onve he got the hang of frozen there was never any problem feeding him but it had to be moving - wouldnt feed of the bottom

I dont think hand feeding them is such a good idea :rolleyes:

I dont think hand feeding them is such a good idea :rolleyes:

Glad someone else thought that :D

A) I know a guy who was stung by a lion fish, his response was simply: "That will never happen to me again."
B) I live in a fairly small town and I dunno about you guys but I'm not so sure how any local doctors would respond to "yeah, I was stung by a lion fish...what do I do?"

Also, I've always had luck with a stick and a prawn in weening fish off live foods, I think the trick is once the fish starts to notice it, move it away from them, it's their instinct to want to chase it and nip it.

i bought a dwarf lion the other day, enjoyin the tank already. and lucky for me, guy was eatin frozen at the lfs i work at. so i lucked out with that as well as the 9.99 he costed :).

no worries. hes bout 3in, lil more now, with a blue tang, flame angel, 2 clowns, longnose hawk, and green spot mandarin. only inverts r snails, emerald crab who hold his own anyway, hermits, and a tigertail cucumber. he spends most of his time along or in my sea fan.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back