Dwarf Gourami, Red Lump

Melafix is a liquid medication for fish disease such as ulcers, pop-eye, ick, and velvet. It is usually very effective. And very cheap actually. But beware, it stinks!

Sounds like that's the plan for now. Thanks again for all your help! ^_^

I'll update the thread in a few days once I find out what's what.

Being a dwarf gourami, I's say its not a bite, but an ulcer, and one of the signs of DGIV. I'd be concerned if I were you. Just because you are in America it doesn't mean its not there, we've had board members all over the world have the same troubles with these fish.

Check out the following thread of mine (from when I had the problem) and in the first post there's a link to another thread I made where I posted pictures. See if yours looks the same, and have a read up of all the advice I got from Sylvia - she knows her stuff. Wish she was still around, but anyhoo.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=182995&hl=

Good luck, you'll need it.

Thanks for the heads up, southerncross. Sorry to hear about your gourami. Sadly, it seems like our fish may have the same thing. However, when I went to my local fish shop, the owner told me that it was probably an anchor worm and said that some anti-parasite medicine should do the trick. I administered my first dose today. I don't have an isolation tank, but the shopkeep said that won't be a problem when using this medicine. I really hope this isn't anything serious.

As I examine the tank, I'm noticing that a gold gourami that I just bought the other day is rocking back and forth :unsure: ...that's really not something that I'm happy to see. I hope it's just some quirky behavior...but we'll see. I'll post again once some new developments come about. Thanks for the help, everybody ^_^.

Nope. If it was an anchor worm, it would be quite obvious. They are visible to the naked eye - they have a forked tail on the end. Google image 'anchor worm' and you will see.

Thanks for saying your sorry, but its ok now, it was awhile ago! I've got a trio of beautiful pearl gouramis now. Won't touch dwarfs again with a ten foot pole. There's been dozens of ppl on the board with the same problem this year, they're just not worth the inevitable heartbreak, IMO.

Nope. If it was an anchor worm, it would be quite obvious. They are visible to the naked eye - they have a forked tail on the end. Google image 'anchor worm' and you will see.

Thanks for saying your sorry, but its ok now, it was awhile ago! I've got a trio of beautiful pearl gouramis now. Won't touch dwarfs again with a ten foot pole. There's been dozens of ppl on the board with the same problem this year, they're just not worth the inevitable heartbreak, IMO.

Hmmm...yea you're right. I'm still not sure what exactly this thing is...if it is what your guy had, could it be harmful to my other fish? I think for now I'm gonna continue with this dosage and do a 2/3 water change this weekend.

Ok, so far, so good. I dosed the tank with coppersafe and the red part of the lump has shriveled up and the whole growth seems to be shrinking. I hope this trend continues. The whole tank seems to be doing great. Thanks again for the help, everyone. I'll update again soon. ^_^

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back