Dwarf Gourami, Red Lump

Zakoichi

Reaction score
Hi all, I originally posted this under Tropical Fish Emergencies, but I just want to get it out there. Thanks.

My Dwarf Gourami has recently developed a strange growth on the corner of his mouth. It originally was just a lump, but has recently grown into a red protrusion coming out from where the lump was. I have no idea what this could be. I originally thought it was a harmless lump, but once this red protrusion came about, I'm a bit more concerned. The fish seems to be acting normally and is still eating aggressively, but this red lump is really bothering me. Any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post an image as soon as I find my camera. :unsure:

G'day Zakoichi,

I only join this section of the forum the other day but was worned by -germ- to look out on my dwarf Gouramis for an illness call DGIV check out the link below to find out more info about it.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;#entry1709818

He did say it was higher in Dwarf Gourmais from my region (Australia) but something to keep and eye on.

Hope this helps.

Your gourami seems to have a swelled bite. It is harmless & in most cases doesnt bother the fish. What are his/her tankmates? Gouramis such as kissing gouramis and giant gouramis, as well as cichlids, like to show dominance to each other by locking there jaws in a "kissing" fashion. Sometimes, although rarely, other fish, such as your dwarf gourami, will join in.

Good Luck,

-exoticaquatic

G'day Zakoichi,

I only join this section of the forum the other day but was worned by -germ- to look out on my dwarf Gouramis for an illness call DGIV check out the link below to find out more info about it.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showto...p;#entry1709818

He did say it was higher in Dwarf Gourmais from my region (Australia) but something to keep and eye on.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm from the states, so I don't think DGIV is the culprit. Also, the protrusion isn't scabby like the original description. It's more like a tiny little cherry is popping out of a lump on the guy's jaw. I've been trying to get a good pic of it, but it's real blurry. That DGIV looks pretty nasty, though. I hope none of your fish have it. :blink:

Your gourami seems to have a swelled bite. It is harmless & in most cases doesnt bother the fish. What are his/her tankmates? Gouramis such as kissing gouramis and giant gouramis, as well as cichlids, like to show dominance to each other by locking there jaws in a "kissing" fashion. Sometimes, although rarely, other fish, such as your dwarf gourami, will join in.

Good Luck,

-exoticaquatic

Hmm, that sounds likely. Well, the tank I'm running with him has: 2 Healight/Taillight Tetras, 2 Buenos Aires Tetras, 2 Lemon Tetras, 2 Colored Tetras, 2 Zebra Danios, 1 Guppy, 1 Flame Dwarf Gourami, 1 Gold Gourami, 1 Bumblebee Catfish and a Common Plecostomus. The Catfish and the Flame Dwarf are the two that mainly interact with him. I haven't seen the catfish bit at him, but it seems like the dwarf and flame dwarf do get a bit nippy sometimes (nothing too violent though.) Like i said earlier, I'll try to snag a good pic of it. Thanks for the help!

Ok, what size tank? It could possibly be because of the size of the tank, and how many fish are in that tank. He might have wounded his jaw from ramming into the wall.

Ok, what size tank? It could possibly be because of the size of the tank, and how many fish are in that tank. He might have wounded his jaw from ramming into the wall.

It's a 30 gallon tank. There's plenty of room for all 15 of them and they don't seem stressed. No wall ramming either. The strange thing about the lump is that it started out as just a regular lump with scales over it, the skin wasn't pierced and it looked fine. But now this red thing that just appeared over the weekend is jutting out of it.

Oh, well i guess its some kind of parasite, such as a hookworm? Take the fish out, and carefully pull the parasite out with tweezers. Try not to hurt the fish. The wound will clear up in a week or so.

The electric blue opaline gourami in my forum logo (see sig) has had that before. I simply pulled it out. I cant figure out how to upload pics.

Oh, well i guess its some kind of parasite, such as a hookworm? Take the fish out, and carefully pull the parasite out with tweezers. Try not to hurt the fish. The wound will clear up in a week or so.

Ok...that sounds like a bit much. I'm gonna take him out, take a picture and post it, let me know if it looks like a parasite and I'll move from there. Thanks ^_^. Be back in a bit with the pic.

O.K., but if it is a parasite, it can kill the fish, so it would be best to manually remove it.

Well, I can't get a clear shot for the life of me. Even when I took him out of the water I couldn't get a good image of the area. But I did get a closer look at it. It certainly doesn't look like a parasite, It looks more like an ulceration. Maybe virus or bacterial infection? I'm at a loss at what to do.

Melafix is a liquid medication for fish disease such as ulcers, pop-eye, ick, and velvet. It is usually very effective. And very cheap actually. But beware, it stinks!

Most reactions

trending

Back