Dusty White Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kashifmasud

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
For Past few weeks every time I do water change, next morning I see Dusty White Aquarium. Specially the wood goes white and the glass.

I do 25% water change in 1-2 weeks time in 180l aquarium with 50% RO water and 50% Tap Water as Tap Water is very hard in my county. I have not added any new fish for many months, I have removed substrate to get an idea how dirty water gets. My fishes have had white fungus issue and I have treated tank twice and now needs again. Initially I thought this white Dust is white fungus but not sure anymore. I have attached photos for reference.
IMG_3047.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG

I believe these are micro organisms. Take these particles out in a glass cup and put a flash light against them and they will move. My aquarium has these too. They are quite annoying

Hi

I believe this could be part of your problem.
I have removed substrate.

To Quote Byron

Substrate Bacteria

The greatest population of bacteria in a healthy balanced aquarium occurs in the substrate, not the filter. The floc or humic compost that collects in the substrate is the host for the biofilms; this is why the substrate in planted tanks should never be disturbed, and many aquarists apply this to non-planted tanks as well.

In very general terms, aerobic nitrification takes place in the top 1-2 inches of the substrate; anaerobic de-nitrification takes place approximately 2-4 inches down, and anaerobic bacteria producing hydrogen sulfide occurs in substrates deeper than 3-4 inches. In all three cases, it will be deeper in coarse substrates (like pea gravel) and more shallow in finer substrates such as sand. These generalities will also vary with the presence of live plant roots and substrate “diggers” such as snails and worms, since these factors result in more oxygen being made available in the substrate, reducing anaerobic bacteria activity. An oxygen level in the substrate of as little as 1 ppm promotes nitrogen reduction rather than sulfur reduction (hydrogen sulfide). [6]

Maintaining a substrate of fine gravel or sand no deeper than 4 inches, having live plants rooted in the substrate, and keeping Malaysian Livebearing snails are the best and safest methods of providing a healthy biological system for aerobic and denitrifying anaerobic bacteria.

Hi

I believe this could be part of your problem.

To Quote Byron
Thanks that's helpful, But is there a way out to this ? shall i put substrate back. Since substrate removed, I have notice ammonia levels fluctuating and I have to do water change weekly.

Thanks that's helpful, But is there a way out to this ? shall i put substrate back. Since substrate removed, I have notice ammonia levels fluctuating and I have to do water change weekly.

You should always do water changes every week. How often were you doing them before you removed the substrate?

Before every 2 weeks and water seemed pretty clear But now I am doing every week and vacuuming bottom every 2-3 days as I think that I might have disturbed the bio system after removing substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back