Duckweed

chaotica2010

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Have a few Questions

1. Anyone have any of this.

2. Since it is a surface plant how will it affect light reaching the depths? I am getting a brand new 24 hour lighting sytem and don't want to render it use less.

3. If you do have it how happy r u with it?

Txs

Rick B)

Used it and loved it.
Yes it will block light- keep it weeded out and you'll be fine. It grows fast and can be a pain.
Fish eat it, hide in it and spawn in it. It will cast shadows in your tank making the overall effect beautiful.
It can clog your filter/s. HTH's :D

I tend to regard it as a nuisance. It does grow very quickly, and it does screen out the plants below it. Others have told me that it has clogged their filters as well, but that has never happened here.

This "24 hour" light system, I hope that does not mean your lights are going to be on 24 hours a day. Most plants require periods of darkness to respire and exchange waste products that are the by product of photosynthesis during the day. Your lights only need to be on for 12 hours - more can give less!

Got some as a hitchhiker on other plants. I would give anything to get rid of it. Every two weeks I have to scoop every little bit I can find off the surface of the tank as it will have taken over totally. If I leave it the plants underneath get smothered and don't grow well.

To me it is one to avoid - why not go for another surface plant that is not so prolific and therefore easier to control.

Eddie

Lateral Line said:
This "24 hour" light system, I hope that does not mean your lights are going to be on 24 hours a day. Most plants require periods of darkness to respire and exchange waste products that are the by product of photosynthesis during the day. Your lights only need to be on for 12 hours - more can give less!
24 hour is sunrise, sunset, day time and moonlight it is a light from custom sealife

Rick

anybody got some duckweed in the us only that they could give me hopefully free since u want to get rid of it anybody got some

Most reactions

Back