Dropsy

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

kaz petts

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A friend of mine has had 2 goldfish for a few months now and has had no serious problems with them up until now.
One of the fish has come down with what I beleive to be dropsy, it's body is very swollen and it's scales are raised, it is still eating and is quite happily swimming around, we have isolated it from the other fish and I have treated it with some re-vitalising tonic (which is salt based) and some stress coat.
I have yet to do a water test on her tank, her tank is too small really for the 2 fish she has, I actually got her the tank as both the fish were in one of those pathetic little bowls when she first got them. Her tank is approximatly 10uk gallon. (I know way too small but I did try and get her to buy my 20g when I sold it but she didn't have the money at the time, I know she will eventually get a larger tank when she can.)
I have done a 90% water change tonight for her and will go back tomorrow and do another water change but this time I will take my gravel cleaner with me.
Is there anything else I can do to help prevent fish number 2 coming down with the same problem?
She has 2 kids who are both very worried about the fish, what is dropsy exactly, what causes it, (I know there is no known cure for it), does it go away or does it actually kill the fish eventually?
Sorry for the long post guys and gals but my friend is counting on me and you lot to help out, if this fish dies i will feel like I have let the kids down unless I know I have done everything I can to try and prevent this from happening.

Dropsy is caused by either organ failure or enviromental factors; ecessive sodium chloride levels, high nitrate levels, bacteria, or poor unsuitable diet. Interpet #9 can help in some cases, broad spectrum antibiotic - like tetracycline may also help. However, it is unlikely the fish will be cured. There is a contagious form of the disease where the infection is bacterial, however, this is rare and the cause is normal organ failure or over feeding. :)

I hate dropsy..... i think its supposed to squish the fish's internal organs to kill it because of the scale protruding and its really uncomfortable for you and the fish because its disgusting for you to look at and the scales are like squsihing the fish

Thanks for the replys guys.
I have got some medication today which is an anti internal bacteria control. I hope this will help the fish. I have warned my friend however that there is no known cure for this and it is highly likely that the fish will die.
At least if I know myself that I have done everything in my power to try and sort it out then I will not feel so bad.
I just don't want her kids feeling like I have let them down.

Most reactions

trending

Back