driftwood/bogwood

scottminot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I was thinking of using some driftwood or bogwood (whatever the difference may be?) from some local lakes or dams. I know I may run the risk of introducing parasites and disease into my tanks. Question is how should I clean or sterilize the wood prior to use?

Boil it. Failing that, pour boiling water over it several times. You could also use a clean brush (toothbrush, wire brush) to scrub it first. Boiling water should kill just about anything alive and should also clean up any chmicals that may have soaked into the wood. The safest would be to boil it for a while, longer is probably better, to ensure you kill the nasties.

\Dan

Boiling works great, although it does soften the wood a bit which will reduce the lifespan of the wood. It is the fasted way to get rid og the tannin though...

Boils and scrubbing works great, sitting in water for a few days before you introduce it into the tank also helps nasty things to slowly leech out.

I wanted to know how to do this also, my tank needs more nature...

Pointless post I know, but off topic, yay my boyfriend works in Johnstown :)

Soak it for several days in some aquarium water, boil it for 10-15 minutes, and soak it some more. This never fails to get rid of anything harmful you might introduce to your aquarium.

Yeah taking peices for your tank from local areas kind of makes your tank a little more interesting and also makes you a little more proud. In my tank I have rocks from lake michigan from when I went on vacation.

Thanks for the replies! I'm looking for some decent size pieces for my 30 gallon tank so I'll pour some boiling hot water over the wood to kill any bad organisms. Maybe leave it out in the sun for a bit as well too.

Most reactions

Back