dragon fish

hello everyone. the dragon fish that was in the first picture in this thread is a peaceful eel/fish (whatever you want to call it) as i have one in it with my cichlid tank/BGK. its behavior in the tank is also fun to watch, it will swim around, and then all of a sudden just fall to the bottom of the tank, and start swimming again. just thought i would give my input on them since i own one.

Teelie said:
Could've been a bichir as well. and they're filter feeders for the most part.
birchirs aint filter feeders

Teelie said:
Yeah but only with small fish. They don't have much of an appetite for anytthing big. Most of the ones I've seen probably would struggle with a Neon and full sized ones probably could down a Cory but nothing much bigger.
my 8 inch birchir eats ve5ry large lancefish and has one of the largest mouths I have seen on a fish. they remind me of snakes the way they swallow large fish!!

I just figured Teelie never saw a full grown 12'' senegalus when it got hungry -Anne

Blondie... you obviously know a lot about the Birchirs. I had a sengalus years ago that was very lethargic and didn't go for food. I have now had my palmus for a few months and he's always out eating and swiming about . Is there a difference in these two types of fish. also would you recommend a Ornatapinnis as I have been after one for ages

Actually both senegals and palmas's are about the most active of the bunch my guess is your senegal was sick as until recently all bichirs were wild caught.As for an ornate I have three that either float like logs or hide when the lights are on.And generally accepted as ornates tend to be the most nocturnal of th bunch.If you want one go and watch it to see if it hidnig or out and about at the store.Personaly
if you want something the moves and has a nice pattern look for a delhezi they stay 14-16'' as opposed o ornates getting 20+inches-Anne

ps How big is your tank?

hello again. bad news......my dragon fish is probably not going to make it through the night :(. the lady at the LFS did not bother to tell me that it was a brackish fish. so its to late to do anythign now. and i coudlnt anyways, bc he was housed with all of my cichlids, and i dont think that they would live in a brackish tank at all, and i would rather have them live than my dragon fish. so when it ends up dieing ill just take it back and get my money back i guess. so just a note to people who plain on buying on of these in the future, i would NOT put them in a pure freshwater tank. they will not last that long in it.

Why not Keep it in the bag till you can take it back?

I don't get why people get fish that they know they can't keep

Chris,
How long did you have that little one?

If you just got it in the past few days it sounds like it just didn't acclimate...Mine don't swim out in the open much (of course I have a good sandy tank and rock caves...).

All,
I've heard you can keep these guys alive non brackish. I know this gets into the can vs should theory though. However looking at fish base they are "encoutered in fresh water" and I have talked to people who have sucessfully kept them fresh water.

Adrea

fishbase: Gobioides broussonnetii

beblondie said:
Actually both senegals and palmas's are about the most active of the bunch my guess is your senegal was sick as until recently all bichirs were wild caught.As for an ornate I have three that either float like logs or hide when the lights are on.And generally accepted as ornates tend to be the most nocturnal of th bunch.If you want one go and watch it to see if it hidnig or out and about at the store.Personaly
if you want something the moves and has a nice pattern look for a delhezi they stay 14-16'' as opposed o ornates getting 20+inches-Anne

ps How big is your tank?
Cheers for that. The Birchir is with the two eels in a 6 x 2 x 2 tank

the palmus is a cracker and eats everything offered with gusto. I would still likie a ornate as they do look the business

There are two species of Dragon Gobie, Gobioides broussonetti and Gobioides peruanus (sp?), the later being the FW fish with Gobioides broussonetti requiring Brackish water to survive. The FW fish can be told apart from the other by its lack of vertiacl dark bands. Both are filter feeders and the largest they can normally manage is fry.

beblondie said:
I just figured Teelie never saw a full grown 12'' senegalus when it got hungry -Anne
No never have. The ones I've seen are always smaller and their mouths were never wide.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back