Dormitator maculatus

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

aloaring

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Turns out the unidentified gobies sold to my boyfriend from Wyevale as knight gobies are actually Dormitator maculatus . :eek: At the moment they are still small and in Decemeber we hope to rehome the other fish to a larger community tank and keep these guy in the 29 gallon by themselves will this be alright or do they need bigger. Has anyone else ever kept these? What are they like will they need brackish water? I'm afraid internet info seems very limited! :blink: But we do love these fish and want to give them a good home (anythings got to be better than the muppets at Wyevale :grr: )

This is what i found on the internet:
Sleeper Goby

Any help would be appreciated! :look:

Dorminator macualtus is a beast of a goby which grows to around 10 inches when full grown. They are truely omnivorous and are equally at home eating smaller tankmates as they are demolishing any plants you might have, tankmates should be equal sized to the goby at all times to avoid becoming potential prey. They can be maintained in freshwater or brackish water and in the wild are even found in full salt water. They are generally peacefull but can become aggressive with others of their own kind at times and so a tank of at least 48 inches in length is recomended for keeping more than one.

Thanks CFC at the moment they are about 2.5 inches long and seem quite peaceful with their tank mates (they love hanging out with the butterfly fish!! :blink: ) and each other and we feed them bloodworm, brineshrimp on a regular basis and the other day they had fun eating earthworms. :D
What we will do in December when we get our new community tank is keep one in the 29 gallon and then find the other a good home there are quite a few nice LFS's that deal with big fish around here so i can't see it being a huge problem. I am just glad to find out what they are! And am completely shocked at how stupid Wyevale Garden centres are they said they will only grow to 4 inches long :rofl:
I'm sure other people have bought them without realising what they are!! And i will have to remember to never leave my boyfriend unsupervised in a fish shop again :sly:
What kind of aquascaping should i have for these fish gravel, sand, just rocks if they eat plants and i take it no tankmates fo them!
Thank you for your help CFC and i love the photos of your fish!

Most reactions

Back