DoJo Loach - tankmates?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

teamfargo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I currently have a chinese weather loach and was thinking about getting another one as I heard that they are more gregarious that way. Could I go with a Kulio Loach (or something similar) or would it have to be another weather loach?

The LFS seemed to think that I would have to get another weather loach and that was my only choice if I wanted them to 'hang out'.

I would get more Weather Loaches, you could also try the Golden variety. IMO and IME they do better in groups of three or more. :thumbs: Best of luck.

Pretty peaceful dudes.. I have two(gold dojos) and cant imagine them offending anyone! :)

First, a bit of background: I love watching fish...but I am afraid to touch them. I hate snakes....give me the creeps and cause me to shriek and jump on the hood of a car.

Well, I went ahead and got three more of the weather loaches. I have four of these suckers now slithering all over my tank. They still freak me out a bit, but I love watching them. I still get the involuntary shudder once in a while....and I am actually dreading any rock or plant re-arranging! lol

I have heard they like the cooler temps....what is the water temp of the tanks that you guys have them in?

Long story short: we decided to winter the goldfish indoors so we could watch them and so we didn't have to buy a pond heater. They still aren't in the pond...I am not sure when or if they will go back out there as I just love the shubunkin. Oh, he's so pretty. Anyway, the loaches are now in with the goldfish and all is well. If I ever put the goldfish back in the pond, what can I put in the tank with these cool water-loving loaches? Can I crank up the temp and do a regular tank with community or semi-agressive fish?

TIA

Weather Loaches have been kept successfully in coldwater tanks, ponds and the lower range of the tropical temperatures. I personally keep mine in a temperature of 20-22C with other coldwater species. If you would like to keep them with other coldwater fish here are some suggestions obviously depending on tank size;

Golden Minnows
Golden Rudd
Gudgeon
Sticklebacks
Stone Loaches
Shiners (notropis lutrensis)
Bitterlings (licenece might be needed and they are difficult to find)
Red Bellied Dace

Thanks so much! I will have to write that down and keep it handy for future reference.

Hi teamfargo :)

Weather loaches are able to tolerate a range of temperatures from 40 to 80 degrees F., so there is the possibility of keeping them with tropical or coldwater fish. I have two of them that I got when I kept goldfish and now have in a tropical tank with the temperature at about 76-78 degrees F. They are doing well. :thumbs:

I have never had a problem with them getting along with their tank mates. Although they are the biggest fish in my 55 gallon, they bother no one. Their tankmates include mostly cory cats of various kinds and sizes ( a few quite small), two gouramis, 3 blind cave tetras, a few glowlight tetras, and a handful of odd guppies. In the past they have also lived with a betta, and glass catfish.

The only problem is that when they get active, they don't look where they are going and when they come flying through the tank, sometimes the corys cannot get out of the way quick enough to avoid being bumped. But, they have not been hurt and do not seem to mind. :)

Here are a couple of older TFF threads that you might enjoy reading:

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?sh...&hl=weatherfish

http://fish.orbust.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=28251

I think you will come to really enjoy your loaches. :thumbs:

Thanks for the threads...very interesting reading. We had a storm here yesterday and I wished I had gone in to check on the fish.

Oh....uh....what's this about them growing 1 ft. long? Please tell me that is a different kind than I have....please?

I feel like such a geek! I have been looking at pics for the last several days and fretting over which weatherloach I have and exactly how big it will get. I just read a story today about having 1 weather fish per 100 gallons in your pond to keep it clean!

We have a pond but we wintered our goldfish indoors because they are so pretty (and kept them indoors). I could always just put the whole group in the pond if they got too big for the tank.

There appears to be a lot of disagreement over these fellas and it has been very difficult to find a definate answer. No matter what, I'm safe now....unless they decide to jump out of the pond or something!

My friend has one in her coldwater tank with four goldfish. Unfortunately I'm responsible for the maintenance of this tank (don't ask!) although I like to watch himhim the possibility of touching him totally freaks me out, so I have to do everything with a long stick in case he swims near my hand...cool fish though. :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back